Feelings Resurface

If one could see the light of the soul, the cityscape would be as the star-lit black heavens, be it day or not

Whenever I felt lost, lonely, upset, or all the above, I would climb the mountains deep in Long Island until I got a view of the surrounding city. But since we weren't in my home state, I had to settle for a different view. Thankfully, in California, there were endless trails to choose from.

The sky was lit with stars, which gleamed down on the restless city that was exploding with vigor and excitement. A feeling I missed desperately right now. Fast cars whizzed past, and looked like tiny specs, while people on the streets darted around like ants. There was something peaceful about looking down at such a sight and seeing so many lives at once.

Volcano.

That's what I was. I waited days for my feelings to pile up into balls of fury until it was ready to burst. It wasn't on purpose. A volcano never exploded on purpose, it just happened. But I thought was fine. I thought I could handle seeing my father's face in the casket. But I couldn't.

My thoughts were like a fast-forwarding movie. It wouldn't last long enough on one thought before bouncing onto another.

Davina was right. I shouldn't have done the eulogy. I wasn't ready, mentally. Once I stood up on the podium, all my thoughts vanished and my eyes focused on this shadowy figure in between the two rows. It was my father. Or so I thought it was. Like always, I got tongue-tied at the sight of him and disoriented from the feeling of relief invading my chest.

Until it disappeared, along with the shadowy silhouette.

I'm going insane. Gosh, I'm such an asshole. I spent years judging Declan for treating Lana horribly when I wasn't valuing my girl, who stayed by me regardless.

I don't deserve her.

She's doesn't deserve this treatment.

Overall, out of all the emotions coursing through my body, repent was easily the top one. When I get my shit sorted out, I had to make it up to Davina. If she still wanted to be with me. I wouldn't blame her if she wanted to go back to being friends, even if the single thought caused my heart to hit the floor like a sack of bricks.

Please wait for me, D... I promise I'll fix everything. Once I figured out what has me acting like this.

My head cocked up at the sound of leaves crackling. From the lack of sleep for being awake almost twenty-four hours, I couldn't make out the faint figure walking my way. It wasn't until she was two feet away from me I noticed who found me.

Before escaping to my replacement sanctuary, I left a note on the refrigerator with clues about where I would be. Just in case, I get lost in the view and forgot about all the problems waiting for me at home. Honestly, once the twelfth hour hit, I wanted to go home, but I couldn't find the strength to use my legs.