The Taste of Cherry Vodka

The second we stepped into the room, dozens of lights shone on us, causing my mind to be all hazy

The second we stepped into the room, dozens of lights shone on us, causing my mind to be all hazy. I've been in this studio three times so far, but I couldn't get used to the bright lighting. The studio reminded me of the busy New York streets with the dozens of cameramen, producers, make-up artists, and directors.

Was this how actors felt like?

For the last three days, they only had us come in and learn about the dressing rooms, and the most important area — the snack bar. Whenever I felt sick to my stomach, the snack bar was my sanctuary since Lana sucked at answering her phone. Lana listened to my conditions for about a week before being slammed with homework and couldn't face time me as often.

So far, Declan and Lana haven't reconciled at all.

My heart fluttered every time she sent me a message. Fireworks erupted in my belly whenever she sent funny photos of herself. I wasn't sure if it was all an act so I wouldn't worry about her, but one thing was for sure— it kept me from losing my sanity.

"Ambrose. You're up first," Mr. BowTie announced.

My eyes widened as I realized I've been in my head the whole time during their introductions. "O-okay."

Suddenly, I bounced back when a cast member came over to help attach the mics to my body. I sent Wesley an anxious expression as I swallowed the lump in my throat. The mic pack was cold against my body as they taped it to my back and hooked it onto the crook of my neck.

"Don't worry we all going to be in our dressing rooms while you go," Wesley said, lightly smacking my shoulder.

"What do I have to do again?"

"It's our introduction videos for the YouTube channel. Basically, we have to cook a signature meal while also engaging the audience," he explained, helping the distressed knot in my tummy undo.

The competition comprised eighty percent of secret judges and the other twenty percent were from the viewers. Mr. BowTie kept badgering the idea of how crucial having a big fanbase would be in his competition. There's a possibility that one stage would rely solely on viewers' votes so we would be fucked if no one liked us.

"It's so awkward talking to a camera," I stated.

Wesley pursed his lips. "I do twitch streams so it's nothing new to me but I'm socially awkward so I'll doubt anyone would like me."

"Haven't you heard? Socially awkward is in these days," I joked, trying to hide the embarrassment I was feeling.

He draped his arm over my shoulders. "Here is some advice, don't think about the cameras instead pretend you're talking with your friends. That's what viewers are right?"

A smile crept on my lips when I thought of the one person who kept me in check. "Okay, okay. I can do it."

"They uploaded our audition videos today so expect some traffic on your account," Wesley added, pulling out his phone from his back pocket.