Sorry in A Shape of A Gift

Rain

Rain

Water droplets rhythmically pitter-pattered against the clear glass. Five little droplets stayed alive as the excessive downpour blocked anything in sight. It was like looking at the world without glasses, blurry and dazed. They rolled down the windows since it was their pathway, but eventually found their ending on the windowsill.

Boring Beige walls.

It's the most infuriating color ever. So bland, so boring, so yuck! This room was making me sick already. Maybe I should go back to focusing on the rain.

"Earth to Davina," my therapist Annalise called out.

My attention returned to the slim, well-dressed woman in her grey recliner chair. Her hands rested on the leather handles, her contrasting yellow nail polish brought the sunlight this room lacked. Annalise's auburn hair was tied into a bun, and she stared intensively with a pen in her hand.

"Yeah," I responded, dazed.

"How are you feeling? Is the medication working? You seemed to be unusually quiet, we can up the dose if needed," Annalise pondered, the pen tapping her notebook in a way that looked like a clock ticking.

"I feel great," I sarcastically replied.

She narrowed her eyes. "Davina. We only have twenty minutes left in this session and all you have done is stare at the window."

"It's not my fault the rain is weirdly mesmerizing," I stated, pointing to my little droplet friends.

Annalise sighed, removing her squared-shape glasses. "Davina, you always do this when something is on your mind. I want to be your safe place where you feel most comfortable talking about what's bothering you."

I played with the edge of her rundown couch. "Um."

"Does it have to do with your sister? Or Colton?" Annalise innocently asked, but the mention of them plagued my mind with frightful memories.

My hair rose on the back of my neck. Being around Colton never failed to make me feel like dirt. Kasey... had the same feeling, but for something different entirely... There are times when their persistent influences in my life bring me back to my best friend-- alcohol. I hated drinking it. But I hated remembering it more.

"No. It's not them. Colton has been surprisingly quiet these past weeks," I confessed, truthfully hoping to waste every last minute so I could keep neglecting the problem.

She shuffled around, switching onto another piece of paper. I wondered if she had just been doodling because I've been airtight on what's bothering me today.

"What about your boyfriend, Ambrose? Are you guys having problems? I know how difficult it is for you to care for someone since Colton," she kept pondering, trying to break down the two-thousand-inch wall I built.