09. bus

☽ Lightning rippled silently through the clouds above a traffic filled road

☽ Lightning rippled silently through the clouds above a traffic filled road. Leaning over the steering wheel, the bus driver peered up at the darkening skies ahead. Coach looked over his shoulder, whistle hanging from his lips. He breathed a low grumble of displeasure at the storm. Until something caught his eye in the rear view mirror. A blast of the whistle startled a teenager standing to talk to a girl in the seat behind him. 

"Back to your seat." The teen dropped back, in the bus filled with the Cross Country team. Some studied, some texted, others slept. In one seat, Isaac and Boyd exchanged tense whispers with Dahlia listening from a far.

Her face was blank and her mind was all over the floor. Bobby wanted her to be near him, knowing well how she hated to be with people but also how much she needed her family.

"Stop thinking about it, man." Isaac whispered to his friend.

"Like you're not thinking about it, too?" He said skeptically.

"Well, stop thinking about it."

"I can't."

"Well, there's nothing you can do about it, either." He looked over at his former first love, he was hurt, but his worry for her was stronger than his own sadness.

"You sure about that?" He nodded to a row behind them where Ethan sat, checking his phone for a message. Beside him, Danny watched Ethan push the phone back into his pocket with a frustrated breath.

The Alpha glanced at Dahlia too with a frown on his face. She knew how important the pack was for the twins, and he felt as if she ruined it. But she wouldn't feel bad for the things she did. Also, he felt bad for what happened to her. No matter what, she was still one of his closest friends.

"Everything okay?" Ethan looked back at Danny when he made the question.

"Yeah. Why?"

"You checked your phone three times in the last five minutes..."

"Waiting on a message." he shrugged.

"Anything important?"

"No. Nothing." His tone belied his words, however. Turning, he gazed surreptitiously down the aisle to Scott and Stiles sitting in one of the back seats.While Stiles tapped a finger over his tablet, Scott leaned his head against the window, heavy eyelids beginning to close.

Stiles looked at his girlfriend, who had asked not to be bothered and to be alone. He undertood, although he'd like to be with her in a moment like that. He craved to be with her in such a painful moment.

Glowing yellow eyes snapped open. Shifted into werewolf form, Scott turned, letting loose a defiant snarl as-

"Yo, Scotty!" Blinking back to the present, Scott turned to Stiles "Hey, yo! Scotty? Still with me?"