02. ephemeral

☽ While Ms

☽ While Ms. Blake continued her lecture, Stiles noticed a bandage on Lydia's ankle. He leaned over to whisper "Hey, Lydia. What is that? Is that from the accident?"

She looked at him blankly "No... Prada bit me."

"Your dog?"

"No, my designer handbag." She relied sarcastically "Yes, my dog."

"Has it ever bitten you before?" She thought about it for a moment before shaking her head. Having heard the conversation, Dahlia began tapping her foot nervously. "Okay, what if it's, like, the same thing as the deer? You know, like, how animals start acting weird right before an earthquake or something?"

"Meaning what? There's gonna be an earthquake?"

"Or something. I just... maybe it means something's coming. Something bad."

"It was a deer and a dog. What's that thing you say about threes? Once... twice..." Something hit the window just over her shoulder. Loud enough to turn Ms. Blake from the chalkboard.

The students watched her slowly approach to look out when a bird slammed right into the window. Blake flinched back, a hand coming to her mouth as if to stifle a scream.

Another bird fled into the window. Then a third. Dozens of birds appeared out of the sky almost instantaneously. They slammed violently into the glass, one after another.

A crack rippled through the panes, causing students to rise from their desks "Get down, everyone! Get down! Down! Get down!"

Glass shattered as birds smashed through the windows, filling the room in a spectacular frenzy.
Students tumbled out of chairs, desks clattered amid scrams and shrieks of panic.

Dahlia grabbed Stiles and Lydia, pulling them down and protecting them with her body while Ms. Blake drawn students behind her desk. Finally, the flapping of wings and screeching subsided.

Dahlia, Stiles, Lydia, Allison and the other cowering students slowly gazed about at an utterly bizarre sight. Dozens upon dozens of birds lying dead on the classroom floor.

School officials, parents and EMT's attended to the shocked but mostly unhurt students. Among them, Sheriff Stilinski surveyed the mess with a look of total bewilderment.

Kissing his girlfriend's forehead affectionally, Stiles noticed Ms. Blake gazing over the damage "Miss Blake? You okay?" She nodded, unaware of a feather stuck in her hair. Stiles gently plucked it out "Uh, sorry... just that..."

Past them, Argent watched an EMT finish bandaging the minor lacerations on Allison's hands "Next time you're feeling you wanna stay home? You stay home."

"I'm okay. But Dad, the deer, and now this?"

"I know, I know..."

"It can't be a coincidence." Eyeing the windows, her father seemed about to answer when the Sheriff approached them.