40°|Final chapter

22nd October 2021

The scorching sun of march kissed Larai's face, making her narrow her eyes on instincts.

From the rooftop, the clouds seemed nearer, giving her the feeling she could reach for it if she wanted. The sky was a combination of orange, blue, and white. It looked so serene, that Larai couldn't help, but wish she had her cellphone with her so that she could capture the beauty.

She reclined her arms on the stair railings and her lips curved into a smile.

In the past seven months, so many things had happened—positive things. When Yusrah told her about the writing contest for the very first time, she was hesitant at first, because she felt, just like herself, there were good writers out there and her work would most likely not get the recognition needed, but with time, she realized it was worth giving a try.

Larai was elated when the results were released and she emerged as the winner. Larai could never forget the feeling of accomplishment that surged into her. It was a dream come true for her. She was grateful to the creator for giving her the willpower to write. To her sister, Azumi, for being the sole motivator of the book. To Yusrah, for informing her about the contest. To Yusuf for always rendering his support to her—physically, mentally, and financially. To the organizers for creating such a great opportunity for unpublished writers. And lastly to all of her friends and family who had supported her in one way or the other. She couldn't have done it all alone. Half of the money she won, was donated to the orphanage. A huge part of the remaining half was given to her mother and the rest was shared amongst her siblings. Though they didn't want to accept, she had to convince them that it was a tradition—the first earning has to be shared with relatives to receive blessings from them. And besides, the pocket of a giver never goes dry.

A few days after she received a call from the office she submitted her curriculum vitae, telling her she had gotten the job she applied for. On that day, happiness knew no bound for Larai.

Larai stood straight and smiled, looking heavenwards. "Azumi, I hope you're seeing this. Your sister has become successful. I wish you were here with me. I miss you every day."

Larai jumped a little when she felt a pair of arms encircle her from behind. Larai didn't need to be told twice. The fragrance emitting from the body screamed Yusuf. 

Larai attempted to turn around, but Yusuf's strong arms wouldn't allow her. She was trapped.

"Stay still, gold." He muttered in her ear. "Let's stay like this for a while." He placed a hand on her protruding abdomen and began to move to and fro in the gentlest manner.

Larai placed her hand on his, as he continued stroking.

The last seven months of her life had been the most special in her entire life. Yusuf and she had gotten married and she couldn't be happier. He had proven to be the best husband there was. He treated her no less than an egg. Her opinions mattered to him a lot. Never had he made a decision, without seeking her advice. They have had petty arguments, but they were always sure to resolve it before the next morning. Yusuf had never given Larai the chance to complain. 

Larai recalled the day she found out she was pregnant, five months ago. The feeling was surreal. Despite how hard she tried to wrap her head around it, it just wasn't forthcoming. She could not believe she had a little life, growing in her—the souvenir of their love. The whole family was ecstatic and couldn't wait for the addition.

"What are you doing up here alone?" Yusuf asked, nuzzling his head in the crook of her neck.

"I felt a little sick, so I decided to come up here and have some fresh air. How did you know where to find me?"