29

The ceremony ended with Larai going home with three awards—the best graduating student in law, the third overall graduating student in the whole school, and lastly, the most well-behaved lady of her set. When her name was announced as the third best graduating student in the whole school, her happiness increased in folds. She could not express the feeling in words. It felt surreal. She finally got the recognition she deserved.

Even back in her secondary school, her principal had always encouraged her not to give up her studies, for she knew a brighter future awaits her. Larai wished she could meet her principal just once again and thank her for all of the encouragement she had bestowed on her. Because of her bits of advice, she had the zeal to soar higher. 

Yusuf, Yusrah, and Yumnah took a lot of photos with her. The gleam in Larai's eyes never wavered even for a split second. She was glad a phase of her life had been closed and was eagerly anticipating the next to begin.

Yusrah and Yumnah had gone to buy some snacks, while Yusuf was nowhere to be seen, probably roaming about the school.

Larai was seated in the backseat of the car, physically and mentally drained from the day's event, when Yusuf appeared beside her. Larai looked up at him and smiled.

"You've become a celebrity. You don't even have my time anymore." Yusuf's forehead wrinkled.

"What celebrity?" Larai chuckled.

"Everyone is talking about you and wants to take a selfie with you. My presence has been forgotten."

Larai knew what was cooking in his mind, so she shrugged, deciding to play along. "I'm sorry. I thought you'd left." She finished her statement and burst into fits of laughter. "I was just kidding. There is no way I could ever forget your presence. Whenever you're out of sight, my eyes keep searching for you."

"Congratulations on your graduation, Larai." His lips spread into a tight-lipped smile. "Due to how busy you were interacting with your colleagues and lecturers, I haven't been able to congratulate you in person, until now. I hope you're not angry with me."

"Angry?" Larai scoffed. On the contrary, she was grateful to him. He was the first person to congratulate her and even if he wasn't, she would still understand because she knew he had her best interest in heart. "Of course not. What made you think I would?"

"I'm so proud of you. Very."

Larai grinned. There was nothing more she wanted than for him to utter the words to her and he did. She couldn't be happier.

"My future wife is a genius. I'm a proud man."

His words made Larai happy, yet sad. She knew the next phase of their lives would be difficult and filled with hurdles. "Now that I have graduated, what next?" She felt bad for having to bring up the topic at the moment, but it was something she badly wanted to know.

"When we get home, I'll speak to my parents and seek their blessings."

Larai hummed and fidgeted with her fingers. "Do you...think they are going to accept me?"

"I don't think so."

Larai's heart plummeted.

"I know that for a fact. Ammi loves you a lot, Abba doesn't have a problem with you, Yusrah loves you a lot, and Yumnah respects you. What could possibly go wrong? Stop over-thinking and relax. Everything will happen in our favor. I trust my family completely."

Shortly later, Yumnah and Yusrah returned with snacks—shawarma, for everyone.

Yusuf ignited the car engine and drove to the hostel to pick Larai's luggage, before driving back home.