17°

Throughout the ride back home, Yusuf was quiet-extremely. The glances he stole at Larai through the rear mirror weren't forthcoming anymore.

Larai didn't fail to notice how his hand clenched and unclenched on the steering wheel on interval.

Larai did not notice they had arrived at the house until the car screeched to an abrupt halt in the parking space.

Without a word to anyone, Yusuf alighted from the car and strode into the house.

Yusrah and Yumnah exchanged an eerie-like look before they all proceeded into the house.

"I'm so tired!" Yumnah groaned and plopped into the sofa in the living room.

"Did you overhear Yusuf on the phone?" Yusrah asked, taking a seat beside her sister on the three-sitter. "He looked so angry."

Larai advanced towards them, curiosity getting the best of her. For a fact, she knew she wouldn't be able to rest easy if she didn't get to the bottom of Yusuf's problem.

"I did." Yumnah exhaled roughly. "I think the person he was talking to was Raihana. She's the only person capable of getting such emotions out of Yusuf."

Raihana?

"Who is Raihana?" Larai could no longer keep her Inquisition at bay.

"She's the girl Yusuf was supposed to marry." Yumnah nonchalantly replied.

She's the girl Yusuf was supposed to marry...

Larai's mind went on hiatus, with Yumnah's words being the only thing that reverberated there.

"But she broke his heart and got engaged to someone else. I don't know what her reason was though and Yusuf doesn't like to talk about it. It's a pretty sensitive topic to him." Yusrah added. "Ever since his relationship with her ended about three years ago, he hasn't been able to move on. Several times, Ammi had played the role of a matchmaker, but Yusuf has refused to settle down with anyone. He may not say it out loud, but I know the reason he doesn't want to move on, is because he still loves Raihana."

Larai's heart plummeted at the possibility of Yusuf still being in love with the lady. She vigorously shook her head to get rid of the awful thought. It couldn't be, right? Yusuf had told her he loved her and only her. She could see the sincerity in his eyes when he said it. It was not counterfeited. She would have known if it was.

"Of course," Yumnah added. "That's exactly what it is. He still loves her, but he still can't forgive her for dumping him. I have seen her calls on Yusuf's phone. He wants nothing to do with her anymore-at least that's what he is trying to prove, but she keeps on calling. I don't understand how someone can be so desperate. Had it been me in her shoes, I would never waste so much time on someone who keeps pushing me away." Yumnah huffed.

"For what she did to Yusuf, she deserves that kind of treatment from him. He gave her all of his love. We all liked her as well, but what did he get in return? Betrayal. That was so stupid and insensitive of her. I hope Yusuf never takes her back. He is better off without her."

"I know right," Yumnah grunted. "But what can we do if he is still madly in love with her?"

"How..." Larai's voice broke. "How can you be so sure he still loves her?" She stood almost daringly in front of Yumnah. Her silence was slowly eating her up. She couldn't just keep standing there and listen to Yumnah regurgitate such stupid and annoying remarks.

"This is a family matter. It's none of your business, so stay out of it!" Irked, Yumnah rose to her feet and walked away, leaving a stunned Larai and an embarrassed Yusrah behind.