10°

That night, Larai couldn't bring herself to sleep a wink. Morning arrived in a flash—too fast for her liking. The day she dreaded had arrived.

The celebration was already in full swing, as it had started from the wee hours. It hadn't stopped till now.

Because it was a gathering of families and close friends, just a few guests were present.

The time of the prayers approached. Larai said her prayers and cried. She cried hard for the step she was about to take. It was wrong, she knew, but there was no other way.

Nna was seated amid some middle-aged women when she sighted Azumi and her friends running about. "Azumi." She called and motioned for her to come over.

"Na'am, Nna." She responded and hurried towards her.

"Go and call Larai. Our relatives have been asking after her. Go and call her to come and greet them, before the arrival of the groom's family."

"Toh." Azumi hurried to their hut and pushed open the wooden door.

On entering, her eyes widened. She took in a sudden breath and screamed at the top of her voice.

The sight of Larai lying in the middle of the room, with saliva seeping out of the corner of her mouth shocked her. "Nna! Baaba! Nna! Nna!!!"

Nna was still sitting with her relatives, conversing with them when she heard Azumi's scream. She excused herself and rushed to the hut, only to find their daughter's motionless body on the floor.

Her eyes widened in horror and her hand flew over her mouth. "What...is this? Why is she lying on the floor? Quickly tell her to get up. The guests will begin to ask questions. Tell her not to cause a scene today."

"She won't listen." Azumi sobbed. "Ya Larai took the poisonous herbs. She's dead now."

"Quiet! You don't know what you're saying." Nna knelt in front of her and began to vigorously shake her  "What have you done to yourself, Larai!" She swallowed. "This isn't true, right?" She slapped her cheek. "I'm sure it's just a nightmare. You can't kill yourself. You wouldn't do that, because you know how wrong it is. Get up now!" She yelled. "Get up, otherwise, I'm going to call your father. You know how he is. He's not going to take this joke of yours lightly."

"Ya Larai." Azumi held her hand and fiercely rubbed her palm. "Please wake up."

"What's going on here?" Baaba appeared from behind them and walked into the clamorous scene.

Azumi moved away and he staggered back a little.

Baaba froze; his gaze fixated on Larai's body.

"You killed her! You killed my daughter." Nna pointed an accusative finger at him. "You've succeeded in killing her." 

Baaba's knees wobbled.

Had Azumi not ran to his aid, his legs would have given out.

Nna crawled towards him and placed her forehead on his foot. "Please tell her to wake up. I'm sure she will listen to you. She loves you so much. She always listens to you. Please save my daughter." Her tears drenched his foot.

Despite how strong Baaba wanted to portray himself, he broke down. Tears streamed down his cheeks. He maneuvered to where she was lying and sat beside her head. With a quivering hand, he touched her face. "It's your wedding day, Larai. Wake up!" He choked on a sob. "Wake up!"
"Your father is talking to you, won't you listen?" A lone tear escaped his eye.