39•

A few hours later, Larai shut down the laptop and stretched, glad that she had been able to reach the word count of the day.

She suddenly recalled Yusuf's words and hurried out of the room to get her mother something to eat.

About thirty minutes later, Nna woke up. 

"You are awake?" Larai commented, placing the plate of food on the table.

"I have been sleeping for a while. What did you expect?"

"You seem tired, that's the reason I asked. Anyways, I have bought us some food. It's rice and beans. Will you have some? I know you're hungry."

Larai brought out the disposable plate and from the polythene bag and handed it to her mother.

"How about you? Won't you eat?"

"I will. I just need to tidy up a little. Yusrah and Yumnah are visiting."

"When?" Nna asked, bringing a spoonful of rice to her mouth.

"Today. They must already be on their way. I just spoke to Yusuf and he informed me."

"Is their mother also coming with them?"

"No, Nna. It's just the twins."

After Larai and Nna had eaten, the duo arrived. When Larai heard the doorbell ring, she already knew it was them.

She swung the door open and Yusrah was the first to engulf her in a hug before Yumnah joined.

Larai pulled back and ushered them in. "Please have a seat. What would you like me to offer you?"

"Water is fine" Yusrah responded.

Larai looked at Yumnah, waiting for her response. "I'm good. I don't need anything."

"No, please. I have soft drinks in the refrigerator." Larai insisted.

"Alright then, bring anything you have."

"I will back," Larai walked up to the refrigerator and took out two cans of Maltina for them.

"Thank you." They spoke in sync.

"How have you been?" Larai enquired, sitting on the other couch in the room. It felt nice seeing them after two months. Larai was grateful they took the initiative to visit. She made a mental note to visit Mrs. Hadiza sometime soon.

"Alright." Yusrah was the one that responded. "But things haven't been the same since you left."

"Right." Yumnah agreed. "Ammi also said the same thing.  You've been in the city for more than a month and you didn't even bother to visit us."

"I'm sorry." Larai apologized. "I really feel embarrassed about that. I had planned to visit Ammi, but I have been swamped."

"Have you gotten a job?"  Yusrah asked, surprised.

Larai shook her head. "I'm still searching. I have just been busy with a novel I'm currently writing."

"Why don't Yusuf talk to his friend, Adam? He is a lawyer. I'm sure he can find a slot for you in his office." Yumnah suggested.

Larai gave a knowing smile. She knew Yumnah was going to suggest that, but Yusuf had beat her to it. He suggested the same thing, but she refused because she believed it wasn't right—cheating.  She wanted to be able to secure a job through meritorious ways, rather than with the help of an acquaintance. And since she graduated with excellent grades, she hoped her hunt for a job would be easy. She would work extra hard and ensure it happened.