34

Due to everything that happened in a single day, Larai realized it was stupid to get comfortable in someone else's domain.

Mr. Kasim had proven to be the most irresponsible man she had ever met.  In her opinion, he was worse than Zakari. At least, Zakari wasn't two-faced. Right from the beginning, he had made his intention known to her. He didn't try so hard to hide his true colors from her, while on the other hand was Mr. Kasim, who could put a chameleon to shame. At first, he showed her fake sympathy, then he attempted to take advantage of her, he tendered a fake apology, and finally, he did the most despicable thing ever.

Larai had been thinking of filing a case against him in a police station but she knew it would be a total waste of time. Mr. Kasim was well known in his vicinity and being the crooked person he was, he would easily bribe them and the case would be dissolved. Besides, she didn't even have strong evidence against him. She knew his family members would never testify against him, and she didn't have enough money to support her, and asking Yusuf for money was a solid no.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

The sound of her phone indicating an incoming call pulled her from her thoughts.

Without checking the caller ID, she swiped up. "Hello."

"Larai, where are you? I just returned and I couldn't find you. Our roommates told me you've left already. Is that true?" Safiya inquired.

"Yes." My response was curt.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Safiya sounded disappointed.

"I'm sorry, Safiya. We were in a hurry, so I couldn't wait for you to return, but don't worry, I'm still in the city. You're still staying in the hostel, right? I will make sure I see you before I leave for my village tomorrow."

"You're going back to the village tomorrow?" Surprise laced Safiya's voice.

"Yes."

"When will you return?"

"I don't know yet, but hopefully, soon." Her meeting with her family would determine if she was going to return to the city to further her studies or not.

For some inexplicable reason, Larai's heart clenched at the thought of going back home. She didn't know what her parents had in stock for her. Perhaps, it was the reason she was getting so worked up.

Immediately Larai ended her call with Safiya, Yusuf's call came through.

Larai lifted a finger to receive the call but ended up stopping herself right in time.  She was hesitant to pick his call because she didn't know what to say to him. As she had said, she forgave him for not defending her, but she was still sad about the whole thing.

She hadn't gotten over it just yet.

After the call ended, she placed it beneath the pillow and lay down. She soon fell asleep.

The ringtone of Larai's phone woke her at dawn. Her eyebrows came together and she groggily let out a few incoherent words. She turned to the other side of the bed, but the ringing persisted, making her open her eyes.

Larai fumbled around for the phone and picked it up. "Hello."

"Did I wake you?"

Despite not checking the caller ID—a newfound habit of hers—she could already tell who the person at the other side of the phone was. She could single the voice out amid millions. "Yes."

"I'm sorry." Yusuf apologized. "I had been trying to call you since yesterday, but you weren't picking up. I thought something happened...I was worried."