12°

Six hours passed and Larai had not slept a wink. Thoughts of Baaba, Nna, and Azumi occupied her mind. Instead of being happy, for she was finally free from Zakari and all the bad things he had in stock for her, a little part of her regretted her action, but it was too late to turn around now. She was left with no choice, but to take responsibility.

"We're here," Yusuf announced. "We're in Ilorin now."

In an instant, Larai's heartbeat increased. She had no idea why the thought of meeting Yusuf's family scared her so much. "Okay." She responded, fiddling with her fingers.

"Are you nervous?" Yusuf inquired, glancing at her.

She remained silent and continued fiddling with her fingers.

"Don't be. My parents are very nice people. I'm sure you will get along with my sisters as well. They are about the same age as you."

"Both of them?"

"They are twins."

"Oh!"

"So you don't have to worry about them not liking you. Just like I do, I'm sure they all will as well. We share the same taste and besides, you're an amiable person. No one can dislike you."

Even though Larai knew he only said that to make her feel less apprehensive, it still worked. Had she been a likable person, the girls at the village would not have hated her so much and she would have had many friends. She had none, which proved to her she wasn't as likable as Yusuf thought. "How many minutes left before we reach your house?"

"Approximately thirty minutes." He yawned. "I'm so tired. I can't wait to get home."

Larai stole a glance at him and noticed how tired he indeed looked.

She felt sad.

Yusuf's car screeched to a halt in front of a mansion—an enormous duplex and began to honk his horn.

Soon, the gates were opened.

Yusuf drove into the compound and pulled over in the parking space. "We're finally here." He announced, unbuckling his seatbelt.

From inside the car, Larai allowed her to gaze trailed to the building in front of her. Her jaw dropped and her eyes widened like saucers.

Yusuf walked to the other side of the car to open the door for her. He then went ahead to unfasten her seatbelt.

Larai shrunk farther into her seat and waited anxiously for him to move back. His closeness was making her insides tingle.

"Come on, let's go in," Yusuf spoke.

She hesitated for a while, before stepping out of the car.

Despite how hard she tried not to embarrass herself more, she could not control herself from gaping at the building. Her gaze darted around the house in absolute wonder.

The building oozed elegance.

In all the years she had lived, it was the first time she had seen something as eye-catching as that.

"Let's go?" Yusuf's voice snapped her out of her trance and began to walk towards the entrance of the building.
She recoiled in embarrassment and mentally facepalmed for acting like a typical peasant, even though it wasn't her fault—the feeling was spontaneous.

With calculated steps, she walked behind him.

She thought she had seen it all until she stepped a foot into the living room. She removed her slippers and clutched them against her chest.