19°

After Larai had excused herself, Yusuf's mental focus was still on the path she followed. Something seemed to be bothering her. He did not know what it was, but he took it upon himself to find out as soon as he can. He didn't like it when she was sad, for it tended to rub off on him.

"Is she alright?" Adam's voice rang in his ear, snapping him out of trance.

"I don't know." Yusuf curtly shook his head.

"Seems she's homesick already," Adam remarked.

Yusuf wasn't convinced by that. He had a hunch she acted that way because she overheard his conversation with Raihana. "Yeah." He waved the topic aside. "Seems so."

"Where's Yumnah?" Adam asked, looking around. "I haven't seen her around."

"She's probably in their room."

"It's been a long time I saw her—about a year or two. I bet she is still as annoying as she used to be."

"You can say that again." Yusuf sighed.

"She's never going to change. It's inbuilt."

"Despite how annoying she is, she is still your favorite sister." Adam pointed out.

"Favorite?" Yusuf shook his head. "I don't have a favorite and if I were to have, then I'd go for Yusrah. The girl is so sensible. She's been like that ever since she was still little."

"Yumnah is also sensible." He defended. "Anyways, when is she going back to school?"

Two folds of wrinkles appeared on Yusuf's forehead. "Why are you asking so many questions about Yumnah? Are you in any way interested in her?"

"What if I am?" He chuckled.

"Don't even think about it." Yusuf hurled a throw-pillow at his friend. "I'm serious." 

"Larai." Yusuf knocked on the door. "Can I come in? We need to talk."

Larai was seated on the edge of the bed. She wiped her tear-stained face and put on her hijab. "Yes." 

Yusuf pushed open the door and advanced in. He halted in front of her spent a minute observing her. "Are you okay?" He started.

"Why wouldn't I be?" She forced a smile. "Of course I am."

"You're not." He stated his voice void of all uncertainty. "If you were, you wouldn't have replied to my question in the manner you just did."

Larai huffed and suppressed the urge to roll her eyes. The fact that he said that to her, didn't come as a surprise to her. After all, she was just someone he helped.  "I'm sorry for speaking to you impolitely."

Yusuf heaved a sigh. "You know I didn't mean it in that way. You've misunderstood my words."

"What do you want to talk to me about? If it's about going back to the village, I'm ready. When are we going? I have already packed my things." Larai gestured towards the pile of clothes sitting beside the left sidewall. She was serious when she uttered those words. She was tired of Yusuf treating her like a stranger anyway.

"Can you please stop?" Yusuf shut his eyes and reopened them in an instant. "I'm not used to seeing you so angry." He crouched in front of her and lifted his head to stare into her eyes. "What's wrong? Is it me? Please talk to me."

Larai's heart plummeted and she looked away from him. He was the one that wronged her. She wasn't supposed to be the guilty one, but the feeling couldn't be helped. The pain in his eyes was glaring. It sent a dagger, piercing into her heart and ripping the organ apart. "Why are you doing this?"