37°

"Don't say that, Larai." Yusuf shook his head. "What happened is sad, but you have to accept it as it was destined to happen. What happened is not your fault."

"You are right," Larai agreed. "It's not entirely my fault because you also have a share of the blame. If you hadn't convinced me to run away from home, all these wouldn't have happened. You're equally to be blamed, Yusuf. This is our fault. We killed the poor girl."

"Stop it!" Nna yelled. "Enough of that. What happened was no one's fault okay. Azumi is gone and we will all be gone one day as well. What she needs is our prayers. Please." She joined her palms. "Pray for Azumi. Pray hard for her."

"You lied to me." Larai seethed; her gaze fixated on Yusuf. "Why did you do that to me? I only asked for the truth." More tears brimmed up in Larai's eyes, as she recalled all of the lies Yusuf had told her-all of the fake messages he had delivered to her. "So all of those messages were false?" It hurt even more because Yusuf betrayed her trust. He lied to her about something very important. It hurt immensely because she never expected that of him.

"Larai...this is what I was going to tell you."

"That you lied to me?" She fumed.

"I only did that because I wanted the best for you. Believe me, my conscience has been disturbing me ever since then, but I had to do it for you not to give up on your dreams. I knew you'd leave everything behind if you heard the news. You will be back in the village, but you won't be able to bring your sister back and your dreams would be shattered. You will be on the losing end. I didn't want that and that's the reason I hid the news from you. I know I shouldn't have done that even though it was a white lie, I'm sorry. Those words I told you are the exact words she would say to you, not so?

Larai shook her head. "The fact that you lied can't be changed. You made me believe my sister was alive and living well. Didn't you promise never to keep any secrets from me? Why did you hide the truth from me? Why the hell did you do it?!"

"Don't blame him." Nna intervened. "I understand why he did it. As he said, he only had your best interest at heart. If you had returned, your father might have married you off to any man of his choice, but now, I'm sure he won't do that. Instead of blaming him, you should appreciate him for taking you away and for..." She trailed off, as she stared intently at the clothes she was wearing. "Transforming you."

Larai knew her mother had a point. She appreciated everything Yusuf had done for her-no doubt, but even so, she had the right to point out his mistakes to him. He wasn't in a relationship with himself. They were in it together and so, they had the right to express their feelings to each other. The fact that he lied to her about something so important was a red flag.

"I'm sorry." Yusuf apologized again; his head lowered. "It wasn't my intention to hurt you."

Larai shook her head. She had already had enough. That harmless lie of his completely demoralized her. She felt her sister died all because of that one decision she took. She should have comprehended things when Azumi told her she was leaving in her dream. She also recalled her sister blaming her for what happened to her. For the rest of her life, she knew she was going to live with the guilt. Why didn't she think of the consequences of her action before she left?

"Please leave, Yusuf." She beseeched, fighting back tears. "You have done a lot for me and I promise to pay you back-even though I know I won't be able to fully do that. What happened to my poor little sister should have happened to me instead. I want to rectify my mistake right now, so please, do me a favor, leave me alone and never return."

"Okay." Yusuf nodded and stood up to leave. He didn't take a second look at Larai before walking out of the hut.

Larai felt a pang in her heart and began to cry harder. She never expected Yusuf to give up on her that easily. She thought he would fight for her and be adamant to leave, but he did none of that. He left so easily as if he was waiting to be told. Though a part of her was glad, another part was hurt. She wanted nothing to do with him anymore.