28

Larai's hand trembled on her laps, as she awaited what the announcer had to say. Her heart thumped faster and louder in her chest.

Larai could swear Safiya heard it when she placed a hand on her trembling one.

"Don't be nervous. I'm a hundred and one percent sure you're going to be called on stage."

Larai simply nodded and forced a smile. She had worked hard—went out of her way to ensure she becomes the valedictorian of her set because she wanted Yusuf's family to be proud of her. She wanted them to have the feeling of satisfaction and that they didn't throw their money down the drain. It was the least she could do to repay them for all of their favors showered on her. She could still vividly remember Yusuf telling her to study hard and make them proud. She didn't want to let him down.

Larai averted her gaze to him and he flashed her a heartfelt smile and gave her a thumbs up.

Larai returned the smile and looked away.

"I really don't get why you're so apprehensive. You're a genius. You've been on the top ever since our first year. Just like always, I'm sure this time isn't going to be an exception."

"I hope so." She really did.

"Just like every year, we are about to announce the best graduating student in law. Law has always had a special place in my heart. I like the fact that there are people out there, whose vision is to help bring criminals to their knees. Last year, we were able to produce the overall best graduating student from this department and it was a great deal—not only for me but for the department at large. It was a thing of pride." He cleared his throat, then dived straight to what everyone had been wanting to hear. "Standing here today, I will like to call upon the best graduating student of law 2019. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Larai Gana Mustafa, the overall best graduating student in law, this year. It's no surprise she is here on stage today. Ever since her first year, she had been the one leading in her class. A round of applause for this special lady."

Larai heartbeat quickened, as everybody in the hall began to clap. Due to her hard work, Larai had expected to be summoned, but hearing her name being called in a hall filled with thousands of people, made her feel nervous. Eyes were moving around, searching for whom the special girl was.

"Larai." Safiya nudged Larai on the shoulder. "Didn't I tell you you'd be called? Go ahead. People are waiting for you."

"Is Larai Gana Mustafa here?"

"Here, sir." She stood and hurried up the stairs, to the stage.

"Congratulations, dear." The announcer handed her the award and took a photo with her. "You did very well."

"Thank you, sir." Larai sightly bowed, happy that her hard work had finally paid off.

The governor of the state and other high-ranking politicians also shook and took photos with her.

"As a reward, Larai Gana Mustafa has been granted a scholarship to further her studies overseas in any university of her choice." 

At the latest announcement, Larai's smile broadened.  "Thank you so
much, Sir."

"Here." He handed her the microphone. "Say a few words to the audience."

Larai collected the microphone and cleared her throat before speaking.  "Good morning, everyone. I'm honored to be standing here today. Right from when I was just a fresher, I visioned myself to be here today. All these wouldn't have been possible without God. His blessings have kept me going, even in tough times." Her eyes landed on Yusuf and she found him recording her on his phone and winking at her. She smiled and then continued; "Special thanks to my...to the people who have taken me in. They are present here today: Yusuf, Yusrah, and Yumnah. I'm eternally grateful for all of the support you all have rendered to me over the years. You have proven to me that strangers can become family. Had it not been for you, I wouldn't have been standing here today. You're Allah's blessing to me in human form. May Allah's blessings always be with your entire family.
I wish my parents and sister were here to witness this day, but sadly they are not. I don't feel too sad, because I have my second family with me.