30

After Larai had offered her morning prayer, she went into the bathroom to freshen up. She had just emerged with a towel around her petite figure when a knock on the door jolted her forward a little. "Who's there?" She yelled, afraid that Mr. Kasim might have returned.

"It's me." Came a feminine voice.

Relieved, Larai walked to the door and opened it. "Good morning." She greeted the maid.

"Good morning, ma. Madam wants to see you."

Larai's heart skipped a little. She wondered why Mrs. Hadiza suddenly wanted to see her. She hoped it wasn't about what happened last night. "Is she in the kitchen?"

"No, she's in her room. She told me to tell you to hurry."

Larai's heart thumped faster in her chest. Her nervousness grew by the seconds. "Alright. Tell her I will be there." She closed the door and sauntered to her suitcase. She picked the first skirt and blouse her hand touched and put them on.

Larai couldn't help, but continue to wonder why Mrs. Hadiza had summoned for her. Had she perchance seen her husband leaving her room last night? "No, no! It can't be. I need to clarify things to her." She increased her pace; her heart still pounding violently.

She knocked on the door once and when she didn't get a response, she got impatient and pushed open the door. 

Larai looked around but didn't find Mrs. Hadiza anywhere.

The room was empty.

She took few more steps inside and before she could comprehend what was happening, the door had been slammed close right behind her.

A gasp involuntarily left Larai's mouth when she turned around and her gaze met that of Mr. Kasim.

She moved backward, but shockingly, with each step she took, Mr. Kasim took the same forward.

Larai's back met the wall and she gulped; her eyes closing and opening. It seemed as though she couldn't believe what was happening at the moment.  "What are you doing? Where is your wife? She has called for me. That's the reason I came here. I should leave." 

"As naive as ever." Mr. Kasim chuckled.

Larai's brows furrowed.

"My wife?" he asked. "She's busy in the kitchen, but don't worry, she will be here in a few minutes. I can already imagine the look on her face when she sees you here."

"You sent the maid to my room, didn't you?" She cried, realization downing on her.

"Right." He affirmed. "You're so intelligent."

"Why are you doing this?" More tears ran down Larai's cheeks. "Please stop this right now. This isn't right. Please don't do this. Just let me go! I beg of you."

Mr. Kasim threw his head back in a hysteric laughter. "If I remember correctly, you had threatened me yesterday, didn't you?" He cocked a brow. "Isn't that right? What happened today? Why are you suddenly acting so innocent and scared? You ingrate!" He raised his voive. "I accepted you in my house and instead of fulfilling the little request I asked of you, you threatened me. No one has ever done what you did yesterday and for that, I'm not going to let this slide. I will make you regret saying those words to me. You're nobody."

Larai's breath was uneven. She wished she had her cellphone with her, to record his words and show them to his family as proof.  She realized she made a huge mistake by not exposing him to his children when she had the chance. She realized how much she messed up by deciding not to tell Yusuf because for sure, she knew he'd lose his respect for him.