31

Larai held her stinging cheek and looked at Yusuf, whose head was lowered. He didn't even utter a word in her defense. Even after her explanation, he didn't believe her?

The pain she felt on her cheek was incomparable to the one in her heart. There and then, she realized she had been nothing, but an outsider to them all these years. She would forever be grateful to them for the kindness they had shown her in the past, but she wanted nothing to do with them-not with any of the family members or with Yusuf anymore.

Trust is the foundation of every solid relationship and if he was lacking that towards her, then definitely, the relationship would be doomed.

"If you all still don't believe me, then there's nothing more I can do or say. I will forever be grateful for everything you've done for me from the day I walked into this house. The kindness and everything. Thank you and sorry for all the problems I have caused your family. You don't have to worry, I will leave right now and you won't have to see my despicable face ever again. Again, I'm sorry for causing havoc in your family." Larai turned around and caught Mr. Kasim flashing her a triumphant smile.

Larai swallowed a painful lump in her throat and began to walk away. To her disappointment, nobody attempted to save her. Not even Yusuf.

Larai was about to use the door when Yumnah, who had been quiet amidst the ruckus finally spoke up, making Larai halt in her tracks.
"Larai is telling the truth."

As if waiting for the opportunity to react, Yusuf rushed to where Yumnah stood and firmly grabbed her shoulders. "Tell us everything you know."

Larai remained unmoved.

Tears brimmed up in Yumnah's voice and she shook her head in an attempt to get rid of the tears. "Abba is falsely accusing Larai."

"What are you saying?" Yusrah grabbed her twin's arms, making Yusuf release her from his hold. "Are you insane?" Yusrah questioned; her voice laced with fury.

"I'm not!" Yumnah yanked her hand away. "I'm not insane! I know exactly what I'm talking about, so just keep quiet and allow me to speak."

Yusrah opened her mouth to say something, but Mrs. Hadiza was quick to cut her off. "Shut up, Yusrah." Mrs. Hadiza then turned to Yumnah. "What did you just say?"

"He..." Yumnah's voice trailed. "He said he has never been to her room when she's around, but that's a lie. I saw...I saw him leaving her room at the exact time Larai said. I was going to the kitchen to get a glass of water, when...when I saw him leaving. He was muttering something angrily. I have never seen him that angry before. I was surprised, but more confused at the situation. I wanted to make a big deal out of it because I instantly suspected him but because I didn't want our family to be ruined, I convinced myself that it was nothing...I convinced myself that I was probably overthinking things."

Wordlessly, more tears streamed down Larai face. She couldn't thank the almighty enough for vindicating her when she had given up on hope. She had thought she would leave the house disgracefully.

Yusuf shot his father a glare and approached him; standing almost daringly in front of him. His hands balled into fists. One look at him and anyone could tell he was controlling himself so badly. The disappointment in his eyes for his father was massive-the same man he had grown up looking up to. "I didn't expect this of you." Yusuf shook his head in disbelief. "You have always thought us to respect women, but what did you do? You attempted to take advantage of a helpless girl and as if that is not enough, you decided to put the blame on her and taint her image. What type of a man are you?" Yusuf's brows furrowed.

"Don't tell me you actually believe what Yumnah is...is saying." Mr. Kasim stuttered and turned to Yumnah. "How dare you accuse your father of such a horrible thing. Come on, tell everyone it's a lie and that you just said that because Larai is your friend."