33°

After checking in, Yusuf walked her to room 24 and stood in front of her. No one uttered a word for about two minutes before Larai decided to break the silence. "Bye." She didn't want to talk to him at that moment.

"Please take care of yourself. I'm just a call away." He reminded. "If you need anything, don't hesitate to call."

She hummed and put the key inside the keyhole. "Bye."

"Larai," Yusuf called as Larai turned the doorknob.

"Yes?" She responded, without turning to him.

"Are you still angry with me?" He was not supposed to ask her that again—he knew, because she had made it clear to him that she wanted some time alone. But he couldn't just turn around and leave, knowing she was still angry with him. He wanted them to sort things out as soon as possible.

"I said I'm not angry. I'm just sad, but I'm sure it will pass. I just need to wrap things around my head. You should go and think things through too. Talk to your family and then tell me what decision you've taken."

Yusuf nodded. "I will call you." He waited for her to go into the room, before leaving.

Yusrah and Yumnah were seated on the couch, in the living room, when Yusuf walked in. They both rose to their feet.

Yusrah advanced towards him and asked, "Where's Larai?"

"She's at a hotel for the time being," Yusuf responded in a low-pitched voice.

"Why did you allow her to leave?" Yusrah's forehead wrinkled.

"And why not? Did you expect her to still be here after everything that happened? After you and Ammi threw all sorts of accusations at her? You even went to the extent of slapping her. Who even gave you the right to touch her?" Yusuf clenched his fist; the whole scene replaying in his head. "If you ever pull a stunt like that again, I will not only have her retaliate, I won't spare you either."

"Yusuf, I—" Yusrah attempted to explain herself, but Yusuf abruptly cut her off.

"I thought you knew her. I thought you were her friend. I'm truly very disappointed in you. I have always thought you're sensible, but I guess not. I'm very disappointed."

"I'm sorry, Yusuf." Yusrah quickly wiped a tear from her cheek. "I was blinded by anger when I saw Abba and her locked up in the room. I thought she was lying because we caught her in his room and not in hers. I know I shouldn't have slapped her, but my anger was justified...I feel really ashamed of myself. I don't think she will ever be able to forgive me for this."

Yusuf sighed and ran a hand over his face. He suddenly felt bad for the way he spoke to his sister, but he knew it was something he had to do to prevent the same thing from happening in the future. Larai was the lady he wanted to marry and his sisters must learn to give her that respect. Even though Yusuf loved them a lot, he would not tolerate any disrespect from them. "You call yourself her friend and you still don't know her. Larai doesn't hold grudges against people for a long time. I'm sure she understands why you acted so irrationally."

"Hmm...Yusuf?" Yumnah walked up to her brother. "Is it really true? Are you and Larai in a relationship?"

"Yes."  He admitted. For the longest time, he had always wanted to tell his family about it. It was sad how things turned out. "Didn't you hear me saying it earlier?"

"I did, but I thought I misheard you. So you two have been in love all this while and I...I kept on bringing up the topic of your ex and I...I said all those things to you yesterday." Embarrassment washed over Yumnah's demeanor.