Chapter Twenty-Seven

Long ago, two deities fell in love and brought chaos into the world of their making

Elysia sat in her temple alone. She was the last of her kind. They had all killed themselves in countless petty wars for power.

She did not care for power for their greed only doomed them.

She stood and gazed upon the ruin that was once her home. Towers of white stone splattered with silver blood crumbled around her. The sky ablaze in blue fire. There was nothing left but ash and bone.

'There is nothing left for me here,' she thought. Should she just end it here and now? What was the point in continuing? She let out a long sigh, tears burning down her cheeks.

"No tear should stain such a beautiful face. Why are you crying?" A deep voice called from behind her, startling her.

She turned and set her eyes on the man standing before her. He stood engulfed in a blazing fire, golden hair flowed down his back, and he looked at her with piercing amber eyes that took her breath away.

"I... I thought everyone had died. I thought I was the last of our kind," she whispered, hardly able to find her voice amongst the shock.

"I fought long and hard to survive. Many came after me, but I prevailed. It must be fate that I found you." He said calmly.

He could hardly believe it himself. A goddess dressed in silver, cut from diamond, stood before him. Her pale skin glistened in his light, and her dark hair cascaded down to the floor and pooled around her feet. He had been walking for eons, searching for any sign of life. He felt so lucky.

"What is your name?" she asked.

He bowed respectfully, a gentle smile upon his visage. "Estora, god of the sun. Might I know my lady's name?"

Elysia smiled. "You may call me Elysia, Goddess of the moon."

The two quickly fell irrevocably in love with each other as they wandered their realm for centuries until one day, Elysia decided to create a world to show just how much she loved Estora. Elysia named it after her lover and gifted it to him. On it was the splendor of her creation. All the animals were those he missed seeing in their realm, including the Elves, Nymphs, and Dragons; the trees and plants were also reflections of what once filled their domain.

Moved by her love, the god Estora wanted to create something in return. So he fashioned a being in her image, naming them Lysiam. They would become known as humans in the future. They all lived peacefully with the animals and other races.

After a time, they became fascinated with the world they created. It quickly developed into a beautiful world much like their own. They did not want to continue living in a dying realm, so they decided to embrace humanity and live amongst their creations.

This was their greatest mistake.

They lived among the people as their sovereigns, worshiped and loved by all. Elysia had never been happier. Estora would raise the sun every day, and Elysia would raise the moon at night. It was an endless dance of love.

But like most things, this story does not end happily ever after.

What they did not know is that humanity comes with many things, including the ability to lie. When they were Gods, there was only ever power, greed, and sometimes love. But as a human, these are joined by a whole spectrum of emotions.

Estora loved Elysia. There was no doubt about it, but as time went on, his eyes started to wander to his creation, the Lysiam. Their temple was always filled with them, and one night Elysia caught him lying with several.

Her heart shattered. She had never felt so much pain before. Estora pleaded with her, but she wouldn't, couldn't hear any of it. She felt empty, numb; she shed her mortal form and returned to the heavens.

Estora didn't understand. His pain ripped at his core, and all he could do was drown in the emptiness of lust for the Lysiam. Then one day, the moon refused to yield to the sun. Endless darkness spread across the land, and dark creatures appeared in the forest. The world became bitter cold, just like Elysia's heart.

The first to fall was Estora's temples; earthquakes shook the land and turned his home to rubble. He continued to try and bring up the sun; his people were slowly dying from the cold, and the moon stood its ground. Estora was to pay for what he did.

Giant felines ravaged cities and towns, killing countless people. He was once again fighting and surrounded by death.

He didn't want to see this beautiful world end the same way. He shed his form just as Elysia did before and returned to her in the Heavens.

He finally found her after wandering for days. It was the place they had first met."Elysia, you have to stop this!" He pleaded. "This isn't right! My love! Please! You are all I ever wanted. It was a mistake!" but his words fell on deaf ears.

Elysia bolted out from behind her curtain and tackled Estora. She wasn't the Goddess he had once loved. Her raven black hair had turned white, and her skin had turned to crystal. She couldn't take the pain that he had inflicted on her, and it corrupted her. Black tears fell down her cheeks as she let out a gut-wrenching scream.

His heart broke all over again. What had he done? What could he do? Before he had a chance to react, she threw him against the temple wall. Silver blood spilled from his back and head. He quickly stumbled into a defensive position, readying himself for another attack.

Elysia's black eyes narrowed; clenching her fist, she formed a sword out of crystal and lunged at Estora.

There was only one thing he could do. With tears burning in his eyes, he called his fiery blade, and the two gods clashed.

The fight was brutal and lasted for eons. Wars broke out among the races as they fought over the deities. The power bred chaos which split the land and tore their creation asunder, creating the three continents and the crystal sea,

Then when the battle was at its peak, and the world needed balance, their fight created the Goddess Hephelia. She was their star, born amongst ruin and chaos. Love and hate. She started small, healing the broken world and its people. It caused yet another divide amongst the Lysiam. Those who worshiped Estora and those who clung to Hephelia.

They wreaked havoc in the name of their fiery God, and the battle above just kept getting worse. She had to bring peace. There must be a balance. So, she reached into the sky and plucked a star breaking it into several pieces. She handed them out to her most loyal followers. This changed them, gave them magic, and she dubbed them her sons and daughters of Twilight.

With their help, she banished her father and his worshipers to another plane of existence and sealed away her broken mother in a tomb.

This brought peace and balance to the broken world, and with time it healed, and life flourished once again. The dark creatures fled to the forest, and the races secluded themselves away from each other.

This wasn't without a price, though. The battle against her parents left Hephelia weak, and she could no longer hold her physical form. She disappeared from this world and only spoke through her daughters and sons over the ages.

The Keeper opened her eyes and the crystal faded. "And now it seems that Estora is trying to come back. We must bring back the Goddess. I fear it is the only way." her eyes settled on Isabella and me.

©2021 Jessica Powell. All Rights Reserved

****Thank you to my wonderful Editor Arco****