Chapter Eleven

We laid together on the blanket, slowly drying in the warm summer air

We laid together on the blanket, slowly drying in the warm summer air. My head rested on Isaac's chest, listening to the steady beat of his heart. One hand gently combed through my hair, the other entangled with mine. The sun had set, and the bioluminescent plants awoke, making the forest glow with pinks, blues, and yellows. Animals scurried about, rustling the leaves in the trees and the forest floor, settling into their homes to sleep, and others waking up for their day. I didn't want this moment to end.

Isaac heaved a heavy sigh. "We should probably get back. Mother will start to worry," he said softly.

I looked up at him, the glow from the water illuminating his face in a soft turquoise light. Shadows danced across the sharp edges of his face and nose. I never realized how different Isaac looked from humans. There was even the slightest point to his ears. His eyes were soft, and the green inside them seemed to swirl with golden flecks, hidden if you were too far away. I felt lucky to be this close to see them. He smiled and brushed the hair out of my face making my heart ache. I felt like I was in a dream. Why did this place feel so familiar? Isaac sat up and handed me my dress. I didn't want to leave such a peaceful place.

I took it reluctantly. "I wish we could stay here forever."

Isaac laughed. "Really? I'm flattered, but what about your training? Jess and Michael, and your dad? Don't you want to get back to them?"

"Not if it means leaving you," I said softly. Isaac's smile faltered, and he looked at me, his eyes searching mine.

He reached up. His fingers grazed my cheek softly before cupping my face in his hand. "I'm not going anywhere. I promise." He kissed me gently, lingering for a moment before pulling away. He helped me up as I pulled the dress over my damp swimsuit.

"Think we can come back here again sometime?" I asked.

"Sure! We can come back in a couple of days. I have some business I need to take care of." He replied, gathering the blanket and the basket. He held out his hand.

I smiled and took it. "So... does this mean we're official? Like, I know we went on dates before, but..." I felt a blush creeping into my skin.

Isaac laughed heartily. "I would hope so... I thought we were... " he stopped, took both my hands in his and held them up against his chest.

"You are the best thing that has happened to me, Lizbeth. Would you do me the honor of being my girlfriend?" My chest warmed as my name rolled off his tongue effortlessly. I nodded slowly and he laughed, giving me a quick peck on the lips.  "Fantastic! Come on, we should start walking. The carriage should still be in town." He led me away from the slice of heaven we had created, stepping back into the reality of the day.

We had walked for a while, much longer than it had been when we arrived during daylight. Isaac didn't seem worried, but I felt like we were lost. I wasn't complaining too much, the forest was beautiful. But the glowing eyes in the darkness made me uneasy.