Chapter One

Where am I?

Where am I?

A chill seeped into my bones, causing me to shiver and my teeth chatter. My hands ran along the smooth tile floor and I started to crawl, gingerly reaching out into the pitch-black darkness so as to not fall through some unforeseen hole. A blinding light flashed, my hands instinctively reached up to shield my eyes as they stung.  Peeking through my fingers, I noticed a lone figure standing in the light. A man stood with his hands clasped against his back. His jet black hair contrasted with his pale skin that glistened in the golden rays.

Who are you! I shouted. Noticing the lack of sound, I panicked and clutched my throat. My voice is gone!

I looked back up at the man and met an intense emerald gaze that glowed just as brightly as the light surrounding him. His lips moved to say something, but I couldn't hear anything. The light flashed, and I shielded my eyes once again. When it faded, the man was gone, and in his place stood a mirror. What is going on?

I shakily got to my feet and walked to the mirror. It slowly cracked with every step I took like it was being smacked by some invisible force. I expected to see my reflection but met with a feminine shadow, it's figure reflected my own. It mimicked my movements as I reached up to touch it. Our hands came together. Then it reached out and grabbed my arm, pulling itself out of the mirror. Terror filled me. I choked back a scream as I stumbled backward. It opened its eyes, and I gazed into an identical set of violets. My mind raced, and my heart pounded in my chest.

Before I could even think of running away, the ground beneath me vanished. Darkness consumed me as my screams echoed off invisible walls.

I woke up clutching my body, drenched in sweat, and my heart pounding. My screams echoing in my head, and I sighed—another nightmare. My alarm blared, scaring the absolute crap out of me. I pulled my uniform out of my closet and went to take a much-needed shower. While drying my hair, I passed my mirror. Fear clawed at my stomach as I remembered the nightmare. Shaking, I wiped the condensation away, relieved as it revealed only my reflection. I opened the cabinet and took my medication. Living with schizophrenia was not easy. I prayed it would actually work today.

I finished getting ready and headed down to the kitchen. The smell of bacon and pancakes wafted through the hall. My father stood over the hot stove, mumbling curses at himself. I leaned against the door frame and smiled. His brown hair was tousled from sleep, and his pajamas were wrinkled. Being a single dad... He wasn't the best cook, but he did try. He cursed louder as grease from the bacon splattered.

His blue eyes widened as he caught me standing. Jumping out of his skin and almost dropping the misshapen hot cakes into the floor. "Jesus Elizabeth! You nearly gave me a heart attack! Make some noise on the way down next time." he laughed.

"I'm so sorry, I was just admiring your determination." I sat at the table and took a bite of the pancake. It was rubbery and very dry. I coughed and took a couple sips of milk.