Chapter Seventeen

Something cold dripped onto my face, waking me from the spell-induced sleep

Something cold dripped onto my face, waking me from the spell-induced sleep. I bolted upright. I was in a small stone room. There was nothing in the room except one small bed in the corner of the room. Large open windows lined the walls, along with a small fireplace. A blast of cold wind blew the curtains allowing the sun to shine through. My eyes widened as I looked out the window, and my stomach lurched.

I was high, very high. I could see the entire city of Listra along with the small patches of trees surrounding it. Where exactly am I? I wracked my brain. I had a killer headache.

Then it all came rushing back to me.

Isaac! Oh god, Lilith! I frantically looked around the room for a way out, but the only door led to a small cramped bathroom. I noticed a small balcony to my left. Gathering my courage, I stepped out. The wind whipped through my hair. I clung to the railing, searching for a way down, but there wasn't. I quickly realized that I was in one of the highest towers of the castle.

BANG!

I whipped around. Lilith suddenly stood there, a smirk on her face. Beside her was a human-sized hatch on the floor that hadn't been there a minute ago. She had come in alone, probably to torment me.

With that thought in mind, I felt immense anger and reached out an open palm. "Collumino!" I yelled.

To my horror, nothing was there.

Lilith laughed heartily. "You really think I would let you keep your magic? I put a dampener on you the second Isaac brought you back to me. It's stronger than the one your mother had placed on you and the one I imbued in that bracelet."

"Where's Isaac, you monster? What did you do to him?" I spat.

She sat on the bed and sighed, pretending to massage her temples. "Oh goddess, you're starting to sound like a broken record. Isaac is resting until I have need of him, that thorn in my side! He couldn't leave well enough alone ever since that attempted kidnapping in the plaza." She shook her head at me as if she was disappointed. "My, oh my, what you should be asking is what I'm going to do with you."

I stayed silent, my heart pounding hard in my chest.

Her lips curved up into a smile. "Well! Since you decided to snoop around my office to find that book, I can't let you run around and tell the staff I kept precious Isaac's cure a secret. They would get suspicious! And rightly so, seeing as I was the one who sent the Stalkers."

I nearly jumped out of my skin. I was right all along! "Why... Why would you do that? He's your son! Don't you love him?" My legs felt weak.

Lilith scoffed. "Love? Love is fickle and fleeting. I thought I was in love once. I was tortured, experimented on, and raped until I bore that man a child. I fled to Arvora carrying my newborn. I wanted to leave him in the Deep Grove, let the Elves have him... but I couldn't. He was mine, after all—my baby boy. I loved him even though he looked up at me with the same eyes as the man I thought loved me. But then he grew up and looked so much like him..." A tear rolled down her cheek, which she quickly brushed away. Her expression turned ugly. "I had hoped that after I got you to help me with my plans, Isaac would run off with you to the earthly plane, and I would never have to be reminded of my past."