Chapter Sixteen

The weeks of recovery were grueling and slow

The weeks of recovery were grueling and slow. Ember made sure I kept up with my studies and even helped me with a few lessons in Lilith's absence. I hadn't seen Lilith since I gave her the book. Ember had told me that Lilith was busy overseeing Isaac's recovery, so I just hoped she was doing okay. I guess I can ask her later.

I finally got to leave my room today. My leg had healed fully, and there was now a long jagged scar down my calf. I've been trying to think of ways I'm going to explain it to Jessica. She was bound to notice it when I saw her again. Maybe I can chalk it up to the earthquake that happened? I don't know. It was still hard to walk. The healers had been right; the muscle was permanently damaged.

I did a few stretches before exciting my room. It felt so good! As much as I liked my room, it was going to be hard to come back to it to sleep after spending weeks locked inside.

Excitement bubbled up inside me as I raced towards Isaac's room. I wonder how he's doing? He's probably still resting. The poison sounded bad and probably did a lot of damage.

Gathering myself, I knocked on his door and waited. No response. My stomach twisted into knots. I knocked again.

"Isaac?" I called. Nothing. Maybe he's sleeping? I turned to leave when the door slowly creaked open. Like it hadn't been opened in a while.

Confused, I slowly approached the door, "Isaac?" I said as I slowly pushed the door open. My eyes widened in surprise. His room was empty. The bed was made, all traces of blood were gone. Was he awake? Hope swelled. Maybe Lilith will know where he is! I do need to talk to her.

I made my way to her office. I wanted to apologize for what happened. I wanted to kiss him again. My lips tingled at the thought, and my heart ached.

Lilith's office was open, but she wasn't in it. There also hadn't been any servants in my path. I hadn't even seen Ember this morning. I guess I'll wait till she returns. This castle is too big for me to go searching for her. I don't even know where her room is.

Various books were scattered on her desk, along with the black one, its pages bookmarked. I walked near her desk and scanned over the text. They mentioned various herbs and spells. Particularly ones using blood. Eesh. I hope I never have to perform any that require blood.

An open drawer caught my eye and It was filled with envelopes that looked vaguely familiar. What? I opened one and began reading.

This... This was one of my letters from weeks ago! I looked back and opened another. These were all my letters! Why hadn't they been sent?

My chest tightened. Why did Lilith lie to me? Was it to spare my feelings? Maybe there was no way to get letters... Oh, poor Jessica! She must be so worried and confused, and my father! Oh no! I need to go back! Maybe I can visit even if it's just for a little bit. I needed to let them know I'm okay!