Chapter Eight

Getting back to the palace didn't take too long

Getting back to the palace didn't take too long. The carriage came to a stop, and Isaac helped me out.

"Mother is waiting for you in her office. This way." Isaac nodded towards the right-wing. We walked for a little bit in comfortable silence. I saw his swaying hand and unthinkingly reached for it. He jumped and looked down at our hands. He smiled warmly.

We turned down another corridor and stopped in front of a massive set of doors. He turned to me fully, a hesitant expression on his face. "Here, good luck. I'll... I'll see you later?" He took my hand and kissed it gently, the corner of his lips turning up slightly. I felt my face redden, a dopey smile overtaking me.

I'm so glad I met you.

Gathering myself, I entered Lilith's office. It was impressive; it reminded me of Dumbledore's office from the Harry Potter movies. There were many bottles and containers full of unknown liquids and plants. A collection of books lined the bookcases on the loft. The windows were open, letting the breeze come in, giving the space a nice fresh feeling. Lilith sat at her desk, pouring over a couple of ancient-looking tomes.

The floor creaked beneath me when I took a step, alerting Lilith. She jumped up from her seat and beckoned me over to a chair. "Ah, Elizabeth, come take a seat."

I sat and folded my hands nervously in my lap. Lilith quickly finished what she was doing then turned to face me, giving me her full attention. Her eyebrows raised. "Why is your face red? Are you ill?" She shifted to get up, but I shook my head profusely.

"No, no. I'm fine. Maybe just a little nervous. It's not every day you find yourself in a new world and sit with the leader of it." I fanned my face, suddenly hating the effect Isaac had on me. Lilith's eyes squinted suspiciously as she glanced back at the door.

"As you say..." She moved on, "Isaac came to me last night and told me about your concerns. The magic in you is indeed strong and can pose a danger to anyone around you. With no one to check on the dampener, it has weakened over the years. I can remove the dampener and give you an imbued bracelet to allow you to train safely, but that... may take a while."

My chest hurt, and I felt butterflies in my stomach. I didn't want to hurt anyone else, most of all my father. "What about my friends? My dad? I can't just disappear. They're probably already losing their minds wondering where I am."

Lilith nodded and got up. "I gave this a great deal of thought last night." She pulled a book from one of the shelves. "I found something that may be able to help. It's not something that is easy or done very often. I found a spell I can use to alter the memories of those in your life. I can make them all believe you went to study abroad at a prestigious boarding school. Which wouldn't be that far from the truth, considering."

I shifted nervously in my seat. "It won't hurt them? Will it?" Altering memories seemed like a big deal. But I couldn't go back until I wasn't a danger. How long would that even take?