Chapter Twenty-Five

Lilith

Lilith

"It's useless!"

I knocked everything off my desk, including my black spellbook that I had been pouring over for hours every day. I couldn't perform the spell even with Luna's power added to mine.

There has to be a way to stop these nightmares! Now that Elizabeth was dead, I couldn't use her. Shame, it was such a waste of good power.

I sat down with a huff, rubbing my eyes. Taking in Luna had been rash and was probably not the best idea. I could feel my mind slowly slipping into madness. There was a reason they told us never to use that spell.

What else was I supposed to do, though?

After the explosion, I lost my sight; all I could see was black, pulsing rage. When I came to, Luna's manor had turned into a pile of rubble. Now I had no way of opening the portal fully to free the goddess trapped on the other side. We have been racking our brains for centuries on what had happened to the goddess, why she left us. Now I know she's been trapped on earth all this time.

The dreams started months ago after I had followed Isaac to earth. I was curious what he was up to. When I saw him doting on Elizabeth, I was happy for him, and I thought maybe he would choose to stay there. I would be free of my past, and then I found her in the woods, power emanating from her. I thought this was it.

This was the answer to my reoccurring dreams.

Burning passion. The feel of the goddess's caress."Free me," her words drifted through my mind. I wanted to, I wanted to free her, but I didn't know how. I felt her lips graze mine, embracing, burning, soothing. I could feel the intensity of her love for me. It was nothing like that man's touch—cold, empty, icy prickling pain. Within the goddess's embrace, I could forget all of that.

"Save me, my dear one," she whispered, breathless. The voice was like golden silk against my mind. She was everywhere. I could feel her invisible hands grip the back of my head and my hips, claiming me once more. Love poured out of her and filled me with intense pleasure.

Then she was gone, leaving me cold, wanting.

I woke up that morning covered in sweat, my whole body aching, yearning for her touch. I gripped my sheets. I wanted to return her touch desperately. And once I free her, we shall rule Arvora together and bring peace. There would be no more wars, no more suffering. But I had to find a way to open the portal the rest of the way.

But after I had captured Elizabeth, the nightmares began. At first, I thought I had done wrong, but I came to realize it was because I was taking too long! She wanted freedom, and I hadn't given her what she wanted. She was angry with me. I hadn't had a good night's sleep in days.

Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath and picked the book off the floor. I need to make the announcement soon. The city has to mourn the death of Isaac. Setting down the book, I straightened my black dress, draped my veil over my face then made my way to the castle gates.

The crowd that gathered outside the palace was huge. I thought people would be too afraid to leave their houses, but I suppose any news regarding the situation would bring people out of their hiding places.

I applied magic to my throat to amplify my voice. "Great city of Listra, I regret to inform you that my son, Isaac, was kidnapped and murdered by the savage occultists that have been plaguing this great nation. They called forth this portal in the sky. But fret not for I, and my guards, are working tirelessly to stop them. I will not let this stand, and they have gone too far!" I quietly dabbed the tears welling in my eyes.

"A funeral service will be held tomorrow at noon, though we have no body to burn, a candle will be sent out onto the water in his place, and there will be lanterns available to light and send off into the sky. Now, if you excuse me, I have to get back and plan an attack on our enemies." I turned away from the murmuring crowd.

Some mourned silently, and some cried angrily. The sadness and fear could be felt throughout the city. The people were understandably scared. But once I free the goddess, they will rejoice.

A guard came running up to me on my way back. He seemed confused, frightened, and out of breath.

"Mistress! The.. he.." he staggered out between deep breaths.

"Spit it out, young man, I don't have all day. " I tried to hide the annoyance in my tone. After gulping down mouthfuls of air, he was able to speak coherently.

"Mistress, the young master! He's alive!"

My breath hitched. It couldn't be, I saw the whole manor come crashing down on top of them!

I grasped his shoulders and shook him."Where?! Where did you see him? Was a young woman with black hair with him?"

"Bellanshire! My lady, he was with three women. Ember was among them, and the other two looked like twins. They had black hair."

Twins? I knew Elizabeth was Luna's daughter. The similarities between them weren't hard to miss, but twins? This was what I needed! Twin magi are rare, and with the amount of magic Elizabeth carried, her sister would have the same.

I could rip the portal wide open and pull the goddess through effortlessly!

"Send the Elites to Bellanshire and bring them home! We do not know what trickery the occultists have done to them. They may not even be themselves! Quickly, go!" I barked.

The guard gave his affirmations and then bolted towards the barracks. My heart pounded violently in my chest. I could still accomplish my plans using Elizabeth.

Looking up to the sky, I smiled. Please wait a little longer, my goddess. I will free you and we shall be together as long as time allows us.

©2021 Jessica Powell. All Rights Reserved 

Note: I apologize for the short chapter, this wasn't actually planned. But I wanted to write from the perspective of Lilith to kinda give more insight into the story. I hope you enjoyed it!

I'm curious, who is your favorite character so far?

****Thank you to my wonderful Editor Arco****