Chapter Twenty-Four

I stood in the center of a field

I stood in the center of a field. The long grass waved in the cool salty wind. I stared up at the clear sky, basking in the warmth of the sun.

It was so peaceful.

I turned my head and saw Isaac sitting next to me, his smile brightening my world. "We did it! We closed the breach!" He murmured against my ear. A sense of happiness and pride overwhelmed me. The world was safe, and Lilith had been defeated. I knew this was a dream. It was a nice one, finally. Was this the goddess telling me all would be okay? I hoped so. I closed my eyes, taking in all the sounds around me.

Until the smell of smoke and burning flesh hit me in the face.

I opened my eyes and dread seized my heart. The portal was back, but it was bigger; it stretched across the entire sky and was golden. What is this? A pair of wide fiery eyes stared down at me through the breach. I could feel their intense anger, like the blazing fire of the sun. The vision had shifted, Isaac was no longer with me and everything around me was on fire.

A sudden shrill scream pulled my eyes away from the fire. A woman in a starry dress was trapped within a crystal cage, "Help me!" she pleaded. "You can not let this come to pass!" she yelled.

The earth shook as the giant man stepped through and fire spread further until it seemed that the entire continent was ablaze. He grabbed the woman and lit her on fire. It burned as hot as his anger towards her and the pain was unimaginable as it surged through me, like we were connected. My screams ripped from my throat and resonated with hers as the flames consumed us both.

I woke up drenched in sweat. My skin felt like it was on fire. I pulled the covers off and jumped out of bed, patting my reddened body. My heart pounded in my chest and I gasped for air. I couldn't breathe!

It burns!!

Isaac jumped up and reached for me, but as soon as he touched my skin, he yelped. I needed to get away, I needed to douse this fire!

I ran into the bathroom, turning on the cool water in the tub. I sat there splashing the water on me, soothing the burning pain. I barely noticed that Isaac had followed me and ran a towel under the water and draped it over me. My mind was in a panic at the burning even after the pain started to subside, though my skin was still an angry red.

"What happened?" his voice was soft and calm, he reached forward and brushed the hair out of my face, the sudden touch made me flinch.

My body trembled. The images from my dream flashed through my mind. The fear was so intense I could barely breathe as I soaked in the cool water.

"Elizabeth!" Isaac yelled firmly.

My frantic eyes locked onto him, his gentle eyes bringing me back.

"Hey..." he whispered soothingly, brushing his hand against my cheek. "Lizbeth, what happened? Did you have another vision?"

I closed my eyes, breathing deeply and slowly, trying to calm my erratic heart. The burning sensation gradually disappeared. "I'm not sure. It... hurt so much," I sobbed.