Chapter Thirty-Three

A cold breeze shook me from my sleep and rustled the grass around me

A cold breeze shook me from my sleep and rustled the grass around me. The soft sound put me at ease, like waves crashing against the shore. Warm sunlight trickled from behind the clouds warming me, I didn't want to open my eyes, I couldn't explain it. I felt so at peace.

My mind was in a fog and my body ached, I was so tired. All the running and fighting, all the pain my body had endured must have finally reached its breaking point. I couldn't move,.not that I cared, even though I laid on hard-packed dirt I was comfortable.

Another breeze swept over me and I shivered. Where was a blanket when you needed one? What was happening? I couldn't remember what I had been doing before I had laid down to nap. Where was Isaac? Should I get up and look for him? My face scrunched at the thought. No... I was too tired.

A soft familiar groan came from beside me. Who was that? Isaac? My eyes shot open and my heart stopped at what I saw. Directly above me was the swirling portal, it glowed an angry red and orange, like the fiery god that waited on the other side. My head pounded, scattering my thoughts as I desperately tried to think through the pain.

Where am I?

I tried to move my hand but it could only wiggle it, I also couldn't move my legs very much. Someone let out a soft whimper beside me and I turned my head. The force of the motion made my vision blur. Squinting I could make out familiar black hair and pale skin but it wasn't Isaac. I blinked a couple of times until the face came into focus, Isabella laid next to me, her eyes were closed and her face was scrunched in discomfort.

Why... What is going on...?

I tried thinking back to what happened before but all the flashes of memories were out of order, and confusing. Why was Isabella here? Shouldn't she be resting? What were we doing before this? How long had I been asleep? Where is everyone?

I tried looking around but being stuck to the ground limited my view. Tall green grass surrounded the circular patch of packed dirt that we laid on. Something that looked like white paint intricately wrapped around in a strange pattern that I couldn't make out.

"Well, well look who's finally awake!" a cold voice called from in front of me. I lifted my head to look at who spoke and my blood ran cold.

"Lilith!" I croaked, clenching my fists trying to call on my magic but a bolt of lightning shot through me. I let out a scream which woke Isabella next to me. She jerked up trying to get up but like me, she was immobilized.

"What's going— " a coughing fit interrupted Isabella, she wheezed trying to catch her breath. She must still be recovering from the poison, this is not good. I couldn't move or cast any magic.

"What are you doing? Let us go!" I yelled, my wrists twisted against the binds that held me to the ground. Lilith's sinister chaotic laughter echoed Isabella's screams of pain as a bolt jolted through her.