Chapter Fifteen

Belle's feet dug into the earth as we raced towards the gates

Belle's feet dug into the earth as we raced towards the gates. We ducked under the raising gate, causing the guards to shout; one jumped out of the way as we bolted down the streets.

"Sorry!" I called back, clutching the book tightly to my chest. I'm coming, Isaac! Just hold on!

The city was just waking up. People trickled out of every door and alley. It was hard not to run into anyone. But I couldn't slow down. I needed to get to the castle as fast as Belle could carry.

We turned down many corners until finally, the castle got bigger as we neared. Finally we reached the castle gates.

"Open the gates!" I yelled as we sped towards them. There were shouts of commotion and guards scrambled to get to the lever. I ducked as we managed to barely make the opening. One guard tried to stop us but quickly dove out of the way when he realized Belle wasn't going to slow down.

Belle ran as fast as she could down the path leading towards the stables. Maids and guards shouted as we passed, surprised by our haste. We burst through the stable doors, Belle coming to a sudden stop in front of her stall. Her chest heaved as she finally had time to catch her breath. I jumped off and gave her a quick hug. "I'll come back later, okay?"

She huffed and turned towards the stable boy who stared wide-eyed and mouth hanging open. I gave him a nervous smile and ran. I have to get to Lilith. She's going to be so happy!

I ran down the halls of the massive castle, startling anyone I passed until I reached Lilith's office. Taking a moment to compose myself, I took a deep breath and knocked on the door. My heart hammered in my chest, the anxiousness and hope mixing at the thought of finally being able to save Isaac.

"Come in." Lilith's aggravated voice called through. I quickly opened the door, and my smile faltered. Her office was a complete mess, and there were papers and books scattered everywhere. Various plants and potions laid broken and torn on the floor. Lilith looked up at me. Her eyes widened, her raven hair was tied back in a loose bun. She had dark circles under her dull amber eyes.

"Elizabeth!" She practically tripped over her desk as she staggered towards me. "Where have you been? Not only do I have to worry about Isaac, but then you run off with Belle to Goddess knows where and leave me, not knowing if you've been hurt or taken!" She yelled. Her wild eyes scanned me and fell on the book in my hands.

She gasped. "Is... Is that?"

I smiled guiltily. "I knew it was back at the manor. I found it in their library. We can save Isaac now!" I carefully handed her the heavy tome. It felt weird to be relieved of it after clutching it to my chest for so long.

"What? Oh of course, the spell!" Her eyes widened, and she hugged the book. "Yes, I need to get everything for the spell! Thank you, Elizabeth! You have no idea how much this means to me. We'll have Isaac back in no time!"