3 6

YEAR FIVE, CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

CHRISTMAS WITH THE DIGGORY'S
__________________________________

Christmas break approached and Francesca was saying goodbye to her friends. "I'll see you soon," Francesca smiled at Pansy as she collected her things.

"I can't wait!" Pansy exclaimed, hugging her best friend before exiting the train.

Francesca turned back to Draco. They were the last two in the compartment.

"I'm sorry we have to say goodbye like this," Draco sighed. "It's just my parents-" Francesca cut him off.

"Can be horrible and nasty, I understand Draco," Francesca smiled. "Besides my father didn't approve of our friendship so I doubt he would approve of this," she shrugged, hugging him.

"I'll miss you," Draco said.

"I'll miss you too. I should really get going," Francesca said.

Draco nodded and kissed her passionately, the two left the train at seperate times. Draco watched as Francesca ran over to her father, hugging him tightly. He glanced over at his parents who weren't as excited to see him as Francesca's father was and sighed.

-

It was the Diggory's first Christmas without Cedric. It was exceptionally cold inside the Diggory house but it had nothing to do with the snow outside.

Francesca found herself crying in bed the night of Christmas Eve, her brother wouldn't be waiting by the Christmas tree when she woke up anymore.

She wouldn't get to listen as he sang Christmas carols, hear his laughs and his thanks for his presents. Francesca felt empty, like all the healing and happiness she had gained during the year was unraveled.

Christmas morning was even harder, she found it almost impossible to get herself out of bed and when she finally did she did so sobbing.

Under the tree there were no presents addressed to Cedric. Her mother comforted her as she weeped while unwrapping her gifts. All of which she appreciated very much.

"It's just hard," Francesca sighed, drying her eyes and looking up at her mother who was also crying. "I miss him... his voice, laugh. The way he walked... how he lit up any room that he walked into," Francesca said, looking down at her hands.

"We do too, honey. You aren't alone," Francesca mother whispered, kissing the top of her head. "You are so strong," she said.