3 0

YEAR FIVE, CHAPTER THIRTY

YOU CAN'T DAMPEN A MOOD THATS ALREADY DAMP
__________________________________

Francesca didn't have time to cry over her failed relationship, she didn't care that Theodore cheated on her with a French girl. The only thing that plagued Francesca's mind was Cedric, Theodore couldn't dampen her mood because it was already damp.

Francesca pulled herself from bed and made it to her first class on time, which happened to be Defence Against The Dark Arts.

"Good morning, children. Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations. O-W-Ls. More commonly known as OWLs." Professor Umbridge began, writing on the chalk board. "Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe." She smiled, a sick smile that Francesca didn't like very much.

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know, from now on you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic." Umbridge said. Hermione Granger raised her hand "Yes?" Umbridge smiled at her.

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?" Hermione asked.

"Using spells? Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom," Umbridge answered.

It seemed ridiculous to Francesca, what was the point of even showing up for Dark Arts if they weren't going to practice magic?

"We're not gonna use magic?" Harry Potter asked.

"You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way," She responded.

"What use is that? If we're attacked, it won't be risk-free." Harry replied.

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class." Umbridge snapped. "It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations which, after all, is what school is all about."

"And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?"

"There is nothing out there, dear. Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?"

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe Lord Voldemort," Harry said.

The room went dead silent at Harry's use of the name. Francesca pursed her lips, glancing behind her to look at Harry as Umbridge slowly walked closer to him.

"Now, let me make this quite plain. You have been told... that a certain dark wizard is at large once again." Umbridge began. "This is a lie." She said, sternly.

"It's not a lie. I saw him. I fought him." Harry fought back.

"Detention, Mr. Potter."

"Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord?" Harry Potter asked. Francesca looked down at her hands as people in the room stared over at her. She felt like an a piece of entertainment, like everyone was watching, waiting to see if she'd break.

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident," Umbridge said. Francesca shook her head, palms growing sweaty at the horrible Professor's words.

"It wasn't a tragic accident!" Francesca yelled, standing up from her chair. Umbridge looked over at the girl. Francesca glared at Umbridge as she collected her things and stormed out of the classroom.

Francesca headed straight to Dumbledore's office, tears welling in her eyes, her pace fast. She rushed up the stairs and knocked on the door, which opened on its own to reveal the headmaster sitting in his chair.

"Francesca Diggory," he said, peering at her over his glasses.

"That Umbridge woman needs to be fired!" Francesca yelled, sobbing her heart out in front of the headmaster. "She's spreading lies about Cedric's death!"

"Calm down miss Diggory, take a seat," Dumbledore said. Francesca listened to his words and sat down.

She listened to him as he explained how he had no control over Umbridge being at Hogwarts, he explained how he believed Harry Potter, how Voldemort was back. He told Francesca that Cedric was a great student an even better friend. After an hour of talking with Dumbledore Francesca was at ease and she headed back to her dormitory, and decided to ditch the rest of her classes.