Kabanata 55

I did not want to leave Elaine especially after the amazing night we had, pero wala akong choice. She passed out on me and I literally mean it. Buong araw na siyang tulog at nagigising lang kapag nauuhaw. I did not even know it was possible, but it was and I had to leave her with my twin and Aiden.

I had an emergency and that emergency is Tita Elena herself asked for me.

"Sir, can I get you a cup of coffee?"

Nakailang reject na ako sa offer ng mga waitress na nakakakita sa akin. I don't blame them. Mag-iisang oras na kasi akong nandito. Hindi late si Tita Elena pero sinadya kong maging sobrang aga sa kaba ko. Bakit ako kakabahan? Partly because I spent the night with Elaine, even though we already are two consenting adults, but mostly because it has been years since I last talked to her. 

I have my hunches that Tita Elena knows everything. From the reason why we left, from me being gay, all the way down to knowing that I have always liked her daughter. Hindi iyon imposible. Just like my mom, Tita Elana is woman no to be underestimated.

Kaya nga ng tawagan niya ang assistant ko para magpa-appoint ng schedule para makausap ako, kulang na lang ay ipasara ko ang buong restaurant na ito.

"Goodness, mijo, kanina ka pa ba nandito?"

Agad akong napatayo nang marinig ang boses na iyon. "Tita Elena."

Tita Elena gives me the warmest smile and hugs me tightly. Nang maupo na siya at sinenyasang maupo na rin ako, ay doon lang nawala ang kaba ko. It felt like she already assured me that whatever there is that we need to talk about, I do not need to worry nor fret.

"Kamusta ang anak ko?"

Did I know that I was capable of blushing hard? No, not until now that I feel my literal whole face heat up. "S-She's sleeping po."

Biglang ngumisi si Tita Elena. Not the scary kind of grin, but a pleased one. Bigla rin siyang natawa at napailing. "Did you know that my Elaine has always been in love with you?"

Umiling ako. Wala akong ideya dahil ang alam ko lang, ako ang may gusto sa kanya at iyon ang sinabi ko. "When I left, I deliberately didn't say any goodbyes to her po. I just know that I don't want to put a period to what we have."

"Well, mijo, hindi naman na ako magd-dwell sa past. What's important for me is your plans now. Of course, hindi rin kita pangungunahan. You do you and I will let my daughter do what she also wants to do with her life." Tita Elena pauses for a moment and she gestured if she can take my hand, I willingly held on hers. "Whatever happens, can you promise me that you will give my daughter a chance?"

I was a hundred percent sure that what she ask of me was not to hurt Elaine. Hindi ko naman iyon gagawin intentionally pero hindi ko rin maipapangako ang kahit ano. But with the thing she asked of me...

"You must be thinking that what I am asking of you is just the bare minimum, but it would mean the world to Elaine, and so it would to me." Pinisil niya nang mahagya ang kamay ko. "Before you decide on whatever you want to do with my daughter in the long run, give her a chance to fully show you what she is capable of. Iyon lang, mijo."