e i g h t e e n

500+ READS WOO I LOVE YOU GUYS
_______________________________________

Calum and I arrive at the police station exactly half past noon, where a woman waits for us on the steps leading to the entrance of the building. Her thumbs are hooked in the belt loops of her uniform, a small, welcoming smile on her face.

"Sorry for the inconvenience of having you come here. We just need some information on the person harrassing you so we can figure this whole thing out." She apologizes, extending a hand to shake my own. She shakes hands with Calum next before leading us inside.

"You don't keep inmates here too, do you?" Calum asks, looking back and forth between every door we pass while traveling down a long hallway.

"No, this is more like our HQ. We do interrogations and such here." The woman replies. She isn't dressed like a cop, but instead like an office woman. She must be the same woman who answered the phone when we called. "Why, did you want to see a prison?"

"No, ma'am." Calum replies quickly with a dramatic shake of the head. I chuckle and continue to shuffle down the hall, following the woman's lead.

Finally, after minutes of exploring the bussling building, the woman leads us into an office towards the back. The office is small yet cozy, with only a bookshelf and a desk cluttered with her belongings. Three chairs sit around the desk, one behind and two in front. Calum and I sit beside each other in the two adjacent chairs while the woman, whose name I still don't know, takes a seat in the single seat. She turns on her computer and clicks a few keys before looking back at us.

"Let me hear that voicemail." She requests. I nod and pull my phone out of my purse and type in my passcode. I haven't been on my phone since hearing Jess's voicemail, so the call log is still open.

"Hey Meredith, I noticed you have been ignoring me. It's kind of rude to ignore your bestfriend, I miss you. Maybe we should hang out soon, maybe tonight. I'll come over to your place, maybe have some tea. Tell Luke to be there too, I'd love to make out with him again, just like old times."

As the voicemail plays, she types rapidly on her keyboard, probably taking note of what the voicemail says.

"Now read me the text messages." She demands, a serious tone to her voice. I glance at her desk nervously, noticing her name is Maxine Harvard, before going into my messages app to find the texts.

"The first one reads, 'I'm considering coming over to sweep luke off his feet again, maybe take that one last thing from you.' And the second one reads, 'or i could just lure him to me.'" I read.

Maxine adds what I read to her notes.

"Everything here looks suspicious." Maxine states, going over what she typed again. She huffs and pushes away from her desk, her chair creaking as it rolls back. She leans back in her seat and crosses her legs, her eyes scanning Calum and I.

"She stayed in Australia just to take my job and my boyfriend." I say. Maxine shakes her head and scoffs in disgust.

"I'm going to ask you a few questions just to get some insight." She states. "Did you know this girl before she went crazy?"

"Yeah, she used to be my best friend." I nod. She types every word I say.

She asks for what I think made her want to go after Luke and I, and tell her everything I can recall - from her making out with Luke to me kicking her out.

Maxine gets all the information she needs after an hour long session. I feel pretty worn out after telling her all about Jess's past, which I found out about through being her best friend since an early age, and I want to go home.