s i x t e e n

"You said no? You're such an idiot!" Lily shrieks, smacking me on my arm. I laugh and grab her wrist before she can get another blow in. She frowns and yanks her arm back, crossing both across her chest.

"I only said no because it wasn't romantic at all. He wanted to make out, I said we weren't official, he asked, I said try again tomorrow." I explain. "Would you say yes to Calum if he asked you that way?"

"Well, no but-"

"No buts. He only asked because he wanted to make out."

Lily sighs and leans back in her seat, the leathery material squeaking under her dark jeans. The people surrounding us in the food court are so loud that we basically have to yell.

"That's not true and you know it." She states knowingly. I take a deep breath.

"He admitted that he likes me."

"Aha!" Alicia shouts, speaking up for the first time. I scowl at her and continue.

"Let's change the subject." I begin. "How did your date with Calum go the other day?"

"He asked me out." She squeals in excitement. "Unlike you, I said yes."

"That's great!" I ignore her comment and smile.

"Don't ignore my comment, I'm mad at you. You guys are my OTP." Lily sneers. I laugh and turn to Alicia.

"So, any guys you have your eye on?"

She shakes her head and frowns.

"Adam was kinda cute, but he asked out some other girl he met at a club." Alicia sighs. I puff out my cheeks and give her a sympathetic look.

"I could talk to him for you, if you want. I still have his number." I offer.

"You would do that for me? Thank you so much, Meredith, you're the best." She smiles, twirling her straw around in her drink absentmindedly.

"I know."

Suddenly, Lily's phone begins to ring, so she excuses herself and moves out of my hearing range to talk. After a few minutes, she calls Alicia over. I'm left alone for a while until the girls laugh and hang up the phone and rejoin me at the table.

-

By the time Lily, Alicia and I part ways and head home it's about dinner time. We spend the majority of our time together at the mall, and I ended up buying way too many things. They insisted that we got our hair and makeup done, so we visited a salon before going home. I also got Luke a new watch that was on sale, but he doesn't need to know about that yet.

"Luke?" I call, opening the front door wide enough to squeeze through with my many bags. I don't get an answer, so I head straight upstairs to dump my new stuff in the bedroom.

But when I open the door, I nearly shit my pants.

I drop my bags in shock when I find Luke standing before me, wearing a fancy black suit with a red tie. He holds in one band a bouquet of red roses and the most beautiful red dress I've ever seen in the other.

"Luke, what-"

"I want to take you on a date." He states, pushing the red dress toward me. "I thought you might like this dress, so I bought a red tie to match."

"Thank you." I whisper in awe, grabbing the dress and feeling the material.

"Go ahead and get ready, I'll be downstairs when you wanna go." He smiles, handing me the roses before leaving me alone in the bedroom to get ready.