e i g h t

Because it's my day off, I get to spend the entire day with Luke. Unless he has other plans, of course. God, I hope not.

"What are you doing today?" I ask, dreading the answer.

"Nothing, really. Cal said he might stop by later on." Luke shrugs. His arm naturally wraps itself around my shoulders in a friendly embrace. A sigh of relief escapes my lips.

We've been sitting on the couch and watching TV for hours it seems like. But really it's only been two.

"Good, I want you to stay here." I snuggle into his side and curl up, my fuzzy pajama bottoms bringing me extra warmth.

"I want to stay here, too." He assures me. The channel suddenly changed to the news, 'Extreme Weather Alert' flashing across the screen in bold red letters.

A pretty newscaster stands in front of a screen showing images of large storm clouds, along with the temperature and what is expected with this storm.

"Tonight you should expect some heavy rain and an abundance of thunder and lightning. We predict that power may be lost, sewers may back up, and heavy traffic may occur. High winds are rolling in, bringing these storm clouds with them. Stay inside and keep your family close, and unplug any electronics to avoid fire. Your program will now return."

"That's scary." I comment, replaying the woman's words in my head.

"Go unplug your stuff, I'll do the same at my place. Be right back." He instructs, unattaching himself from me and leaving the flat. I get up and walk around the place, unplugging whatever I don't need. The toaster, laptop charger, phone charger, lamps, everything but the fridge. I leave the TV on in case another forecast comes on.

Luke comes back inside my apartment with an armful of blankets and a lanturn.

"Now we can be warm." He smiles, dropping his load on the floor and taking his original seat on the couch. I sit beside him again and drape my legs over his lap.

"What's the lanturn for?" I ask.

"In case the power goes out." He explains simply. Good thinking.

"If it does, my laptop is charged so we can just watch stuff on there instead of the TV. Since it won't work, obviously." I ramble aimlessly. He chuckles and pushes my legs off of him.

"I need food."

He moves swiftly into the kitchen and makes himself a ham sandwich. He brings that and a big bag of cheddar and sour cream chips back into the living room.

"All we ever do when we hang out is eat." I point out, reaching my hand into the bag of chips and pulling a few out. I pop them into my mouth with a smile.

"Isn't that what everybody does?" He asks.

"Not everybody. Some people talk about crushes and stuff. Girls do, at least. I don't know about guys."

"Alright then, who's your crush?" He smirks, wiggling his eyebrows. I raise mine. "It's Calum, right? I bet it's him."

"Don't have one. What about you, Hemmings?"

He looks a bit dissappointed by my answer. He was probably expecting some juicy answer. Or maybe he thought it would be him.

"I also don't have one." He replies quickly. "Speaking of Calum, he can't make it over tonight because of the storm."

"That's fine."

"Good."

"Great."

My phone vibrates on the table so I grab it and type in my passcode.