Dinner with Gajeel

(Levy P.O.V)

"Hey, Shrimp!" I looked behind me and saw Gajeel, walking towards me.

"H-hi, Gajeel," I mumbled. Why do I get so nervous around that guy? Why?! [internal frustration]

"Stop mumbling, you're already too quiet for your own good," he complained, rolling his eyes.

"Hey!" I yelled, trying to raise my voice.

"Better," he smiled. "Anyway, do you want to, you know..." his voice trailed off, eyes moving quickly from me to the tables.

"Of  course!" I blurted. He smiled a toothy grin and picked me up again (Second time today! That guy's on a roll!) and carried me to one of the farther tables of the room. 

"Lemme go!" I protested, pounded my fists against his back. He ignored me once again. He then dropped my into a chair and slid into the seat across.

"U-um, you look nice, Gajeel," I complimented him after he had sat down. He really did. He was wearing a plain black tux and his hair was gelled back, an attempt to keep his spiky hair maintained.

"Whatever, Shrimp," he looked away, slightly blushing. "I guess you look okay, too."

"T-thanks, Gajeel," I replied shyly.

"Welcome to our restaurant!" cried an unfamiliar, too-loud voice. I looked up and saw a perky waitress with platinum blonde hair pulled into two pigtails. How'd she get here? I wondered.

"I'm Jessica! I'll be your waitress today!" she said. "Just press that blue button on the wall--"  she pointed to the wall motioning towards a small, navy blue button on the left wall "--and I will come and get your order!" 

"Sure, whatever," Gajeel said as the waitress placed two menus on our table before disappearing. 

"Hm, what is there?" I asked, opening the menu and taking a look inside. 

"What the heck? 'Poisson'? Poison? Are they trying to kill us?!" Gajeel yelled. I giggled.

"No, silly!" I reached over and bonked him on the head. "Poisson means fish in French!" I translated. 

"Oh, that makes sense now." Gajeel resumed looking at the menu. 

"So what are you getting, Gajeel?" I asked after a few minutes.

"Shrimp," he replied.

"W-what?!"

"Ha!" he laughed." Just kidding. I'm going to get the steak. You?"

"Rigatoni pasta with a side of fruit." I decided. I reached over and pressed the blue button. Our waitress popped out of nowhere with a pad of paper and pen.

"Ready to order?" Jessica said with flashing smile. I nodded. 

"Um, I'll get the Rigatoni pasta with a side of fruit, please!" I said.

She nodded and jotted it down quickly in a small notebook.

"And you, sir?"

"I'll have the steak. Rare, of course." Gajeel ordered and closed the menu. I did the same and placed mine on top of his.

"Good choice!" Jessica said and grabbed the menus and disappeared with a Pop! After she was gone, our conversation had ceased. Gajeel slouched in his seat and fiddled with his fingers while I kept playing with my hair. 

After about five minutes of awkward silence, Jessica had appeared again with two steaming bowls of food. She placed them in front of us and gave Gajeel a smile.

"Is this cute young lady your girlfriend?" she asked with a wink. I felt my face burn and looked down at my hands. 

"What?!" Gajeel yelled at her. "No way!"

"Right.. " she said with a giggle. "Enjoy your dinner!" I heard her whisper under her breath," Ah! Love!" before she disappeared. 

Gajeel rolled his eyes.

"Geez, that lady was so annoying!" he complained. I nodded in agreement. While we ate, it was kind of awkward. Gajeel droned on and on about how annoying Natsu was. The only sound from me was the clink of my untensils.

"--and his stupid catch prase: " "I'm all fired up and stuff". So annoyi--"

"Gajeel?" I interrupted. "Are you done?"

"Yeah, Shrimp," he replied, pushing an empty plate away from him.

"Okay! So I can pay now!" I said, reaching for the check that suddenly appeared while Gajeel was complaining.

"Uh, I don't think so," Gajeel said, grabbing the check before I could get it. He raised it over his head, preventing me from getting it back.

"N-no! I insist!" I stammered, reaching into my purse to get my wallet. I looked up and saw that Gajeel had already put some money on the check and handed it to a passing waiter. 

"Gajeel!" I protested. I placed the wallet back into my purse, my light blue hair falling into my face, despite the headband I put on to prevent my thick hair from falling into my eyes. Suddenly, a pair of large hands wrapped around my waist, pulling me into the air. It was Gajeel, again. 

"Gajeel! I can do it myself!" I kicked and flailed my arms. "Gajeel! I'm not a baby!" I yelled as he kept on walking. He dropped me when we met Mira-chan and Laxus waiting at the front desk.

"How was it?" she asked when she saw us.

"Great!" I replied and gave her a smile. "I had a lot of fun!"

"You did, Shrimp?"  I looked over and saw Gajeel looking at me. I blushed and nodded.

He looked away. I swear I heard him whisper: "I did, too," but I couldn't be sure. I walked over to him, as if my body was moving on its own, and leaned on his arm. He looked down quickly at me, but didn't flinch.

"Gajeel?" I whispered.

"What, Shrimp?"

"I really enjoyed myself tonight. Thanks, Gajeel."

"No problem, Levy."