𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟖

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT addict to addict

addict to addict

I TOOK IN the scent of Rafe's cologne as I rested my head on his shoulder, the padding of his suit jacket accompanying the emotional comfort I was growing to feel. The yellow lighting from the street lamps casted across both of our faces, highlighting our equally bright smiles. Ignoring how tired I had been, my eyes stayed wide open; I wanted to bask in the sight of him for hours on end.

His hand was playing with the satin on my thigh, taking pinches of the material and rolling it between his fingers. Even if I preferred when he touched my skin directly, there was something about the pure look of pride he gave me every time he saw the dress. Spending all this time together helped me realise how much Rafe actually cared for appearances- be it his own or others- and only made me grow that much more adoration for him.

The same turning feeling remained in my stomach each time I caught him staring in my direction. Considering he was driving under the influence, it would've definitely benefitted both of us for him to keep his eyes on the road. However, I couldn't deny that I enjoyed the silent affection he was giving me.

"Something wrong, gorgeous?" he shifted his focus from the road once again.

"Since when am I 'gorgeous'?" I referenced the use of the pet name, choosing to ignore the question he voiced.

"Since always." he grinned. "I answered your question, now answer mine."

"You're gonna crash the car." I used my hands to physically move his head, knowing there was no other way for him to tear his eyes away from me.

"Too bad. I'm serious though, what's up with you?"

His constant persistence clarified to me that there was little to no chance of avoiding an answer. Before he had even asked if I was okay, I didn't even make myself aware of the fact that there was something bothering me. The happiness I felt heavily outweighed any concern I had, but it never erased it.

"What did you take earlier today?" I said softly, well aware that this wasn't the answer he was necessarily expecting.

A quiet sigh came from between his lips. Both Rafe and I weren't strangers to drugs and alcohol, yet we never really discussed the topic upfront. I could only presume we used them for similar reasons- if not for the same one. Frankly, I hadn't ever spoken about my side of the problem to anyone, and couldn't stop myself from suddenly feeling selfish for asking something I knew I personally would never answer.

"I know you're drunk, but apart from that." I added on. "Please be honest with me."

"I just did a few lines, that's all." his hand trailed up my thigh, letting it rest on the inner part.