𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟖

CHAPTER EIGHT we meet again

CHAPTER EIGHT
we meet again

MY MIND RAN back and forth as I skated home. Originally, I thought taking the longer route would give my thoughts some time to settle down, but that was far from reality. I was rather overthinking everything, the silence of the Figure 8 roads adding to my mental torture.

All I could think about was my mom, how she was probably exhausting herself trying to make things better for us. I was a hypocrite for expecting more from her, when I myself couldn't even keep my job. I had resented her for the longest time, and my selfishness was finally coming back to me.

The sudden sound of a car pulling up close behind me made me pick up speed, suspicious of how close behind me the person was. On top of everything, I didn't need hospital bills to pay in case I crashed, so I swiftly turned onto the grass strip beside the road. My board stopped immediately on the change of surface, making me lose balance.

After dusting myself off, I raised my head to get a better view of the car. Even though the driver was in such a rush to run me off the road, he had now parked just a few metres away from me. I could tell it was a Kook, the tinted windows and freshly polished exterior giving it away almost instantly.

"Nice fall, is the grass okay?" the driver shouted, coming closer to me.

I could recognise that voice anywhere, unfortunately.

"Stalking me now, huh. Getting me fired wasn't enough?" I sprung to my feet, my previous sadness switching swiftly to anger.

Rafe towered over me, the strong scent of his cologne overpowering every breath I took. He was missing his signature slick-backed hair, rather replaced by the same middle part he had the night of The Wreck incident. He wore the same black jeans as yesterday, paired with a casual grey t-shirt and his gold ring.

"Didn't mean to startle you like that, Cami."

"Get the fuck away from me." I went in to slap him, being stopped by his hand gripping my wrist and placing it back to my side.

"You'll regret that. I just want to talk."

"I don't have shit to say to you."

"For such a pretty girl you sure do have a filthy mouth. Remember where that got you last time?"

Even though Rafe was the last person I wanted to see right now, I did want answers as to why he did what he did.

"Fine. You want to talk, so talk." I sighed.

"Listen, I just wanted to apologise for how things played out—" I scoffed at the sound of his words, making him pause his sentence.

"I know, I know you hate me right now—"