𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟑

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE midsummers nightmare

midsummers nightmare

I WAS PRETTY.

I didn't even know if it was the right word, but I felt pretty.

Having always possessed the qualities of a 'pretty girl', I should've been used to looking in the mirror and feeling pretty.

But, this time, I didn't just feel pretty.

I was pretty, through and through.

My reflection stared back at me, smiling in adoration for the blue dress that laid across my body. The satin cinched around my waist, making me look like the girls from magazines. I ran my hands up and down against the curve of my hips, trying to settle to the idea that this was me.

Never would I have thought that a dress I wore could be so beautiful. I continued looking at myself from different angles in the mirror, taking in the sight in front of me. My back was completely exposed, the thin crossed ties highlighting my tan lines.

With Wheezie's help, the light brown mess of hair on my head was curled neatly, draping over my rib cage. I liked my long hair, but I never had the time nor the effort to properly style it. I tucked a few strands behind my ear, feeling as if something was still missing.

My focus caught on to the bouquet I had moved onto my desk. I had never received flowers before, and frankly I knew nothing about them, but Camellias had quickly grown to become my favourite.

I took a smaller flower and removed it from the rest, breaking off the end of the stem. I placed it on my right ear, the same one that had my hair tucked behind it. The plant rested on my skin, its petals grazing against my temple.

"I stole a pair of Sarah's heels for you." Wheezie came bursting through the bedroom door, panting out of exhaustion and stress. "You're a size 7, right?"

"I am." I confirmed, tearing away from the mirror. "But, I've never worn heels. I'll embarrass myself."

"Don't tell me you were planning on wearing those." the girl pointed to my white Converse.

With the amount of shit they had induced, I don't think they could even be classed as white anymore. Despite how dirty they were, they were still my favourite shoes. On top of everything, they were comfortable, which I'm guessing heels weren't.

"And what if I was? Are you gonna arrest me?"

"I should. They're hideous." she scowled at the sneakers, moving the same expression onto me.

"Try me, Wheeze. You're never getting rid of them."

"I'll find a way." she laughed. "Remember our deal? You can't have the night of your life if you don't learn to step out of your comfort zone for once. Y'know, live a little?"