𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟑

CHAPTER THIRTEEN the start of it all

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
the start of it all

I STOOD PARALYSED as Rafe left the room, still in denial of what had just happened. My heart was ready to thump out of my body, the feeling of shock making its way through me. His touch lingered on my skin like a wine stain on a white dress; no matter how hard you tried to get it out, there was no going back now.

His final words registered into my brain, making me realise that I had to go face his father after what had just happened.

Gathering my composure, I turned in the direction of the closet. I still had no clothes besides Rafe's to wear, so hopefully the rest of the family didn't mind. From one of the drawers, I pulled out a blue polo shirt that was, unsurprisingly, much too big for me.

My fingers interlaced with the bottom hem of the black shirt I was wearing, pulling it over my head to expose my bare chest. Following Sarah's previous intrusion, I wasted no time putting on the collared polo. I was humiliated enough to be seen in Rafe's bed, let alone naked in the middle of his room.

From the closet, I took out a pair of grey Calvin Klein boxers- seeing as I had no other underwear to change into. I took off the current boxers and bikini bottoms I was wearing, once again rushing to cover myself with the fabric. The underwear clearly wasn't sewn for a person of my body shape, pockets of material bulging in unflattering places.

In an attempt to mask the strange fit, I threw my jean shorts over the boxers. The blue shirt reached to my mid-thigh, covering the black denim completely. My hands raked through my hair, trying to make do with my lack of hairbrush.

After stabilising my nerves, I threw my Converse on and rushed downstairs, not wanting to make my new boss wait any longer. I spun down the spiral staircase, clinging onto the railing to ensure I didn't slip on the polished floor.

"That'll be her coming down now." I heard Rafe say from the front room, his voice directing me to where I needed to go.

"Good morning, Mr Cameron." I smiled, seeing Ward sitting on the living room couch.

"Please, call me Ward. Pleasure to meet you, Camille." he stuck his hand out as an invitation for me to shake it.

"And you. Um, I heard you wanted to talk to me about the Druthers?"

"Right. Thank you, Rafe." he shot an intense glance at his son, to which he followed by leaving the room.

"Firstly, I wanted to say how much it means to me that you took the job on such short notice. It really shows me how dedicated you are, and I'll be needing a lot of that dedication around here."

"Of course, I understand that completely."

"Good, good. Assuming you already know, your Routledge friend used to work for me too- same job as you. We had to fire him because of a thieving incident, which I'm hoping you won't repeat."