The Great Flood (part 1)

Some 1913 flood stuff I've wanted write for awhile

TW: Flooding, drowning, not being able to breathe, falling unconscious

———————

Ohio treaded the water, his mind clogged with keeping himself afloat. His body was weak and it became harder and harder to keep his head above water. His lungs started filling up with water again making it harder to breathe. He fell under the water, his nose flooding with water, his mouth clamped shut so he couldn't breathe in. After a few seconds he came back up to the surface. He gasped for air but couldn't get a full breath, his lungs had become more flooded with water. He saw a large piece of debris and swam towards it. He grabbed the edge and lifted himself onto it.

He coughed up a lot of water, making it a bit easier to breathe. His state was flooded, every few minutes his lungs filled up with water because of it. He knew he had become unconscious a few times, he was exhausted and every moment it became harder and harder to stay conscious.

He tried to remember what had happened. He knew his state had flooded but it felt like he was forgetting something. Indiana! He thought, they were together when the flood started, the waters had separated them from each other. He knew Indiana was still out there, he had no idea if he was ok. He hoped that his boyfriend was safe. The flood had affected Indiana's state as well causing Ohio to freak out more.

His lungs started filling up with water again. He coughed up some of the liquid, but his lungs just filled back up. The water filled his lungs so quickly but became hard to breathe in a matter of seconds. He could barely get any air in and began to feel very light headed. His lungs filled up all the way with water making it impossible for the state to breathe. His mind and body quickly faded back and forth between consciousness and unconsciousness. He tried to stay conscious but to no avail. His body quickly succumbed to the darkness.

————

Ohio woke up a while later. Immediately coughing up water, it felt like gallons of water were in his lungs. It became easier for him to breathe, he was happy about that. The soaking wet clothes he had on became freezing. He shivered from the cold. He was still exhausted and not fully awake, he was able to see he had gone towards a shallower part of the water. At the same time he could see a figure that his eyes couldn't make out yet.

Who is that? Am I saved? He thought, his eyes were able to make out the figure. He noticed it was Michigan. Does he have to be the one to save me!? He thought, he saw his rival was about knee deep in water. He drifted closer and closer to him, he could feel hand wrap around his left knee and elbow, hoisting him up. Michigan held him up like this, the right side of Ohio dangling and in the water.

"Why are you the one saving me?! I don't need help from you!" Ohio said, his voice was hoarse from coughing so much. He was exhausted and barely put up a fight.

"Is Indiana safe?" He asked, his voice weak yet filled with worry.

"He's fine." Michigan responded as he walked over towards where Indiana was.

"I know you're lying to me." Ohio said, he didn't believe the other state for a second.

"He's fine, Illinois brought him to land and is watching over him." Michigan responded, his voice sterner that time.

"I don't believe you. We need to get him!" Ohio worried, he knew Indiana was still out there, he could be dead even.

"HE'S SAFE OK! CAN YOU FUCKING UNDERSTAND THAT YOU DUMBASS!?" Michigan yelled, quickly getting fed up with Ohio not believing him.

"He's still out there! I don't belie-" Ohio tried to argue back but was stopped as he coughed up more water.

"INDIANA IS FUCKING SAFE!" Michigan yelled again, he wanted Ohio to believe him so he would stop being annoying. Ohio didn't respond, he just continued coughing up water. His lungs quickly became filled with water again. He strained to take a breath but it was no use, he could feel himself start to go unconscious. He tried his best to fight his body and stay awake but couldn't, he fell back into the darkness.

————

Michigan carried the dangling mess that was Ohio to the area he knew Illinois and Indiana where. He could see them and walked straight over. He quickly came over to where they were, and placed the still limp Ohio onto the ground.

"Is he dead!" Indiana exclaimed, he saw the limp state and panicked. His body was so exhausted he didn't even think to check for a pulse. He didn't want Ohio to be dead, he panicked more at the thought.

"He's alive." Michigan said, reassuring Indiana. Indiana breathed a sigh of relief. He knew Ohio was alive and that's all that mattered to him. He fought to keep his eyes open through the exhaustion. The only thing keeping him conscious being his boyfriend. After a few seconds he could see Ohio's eyes start to open.

Who's next to me? Ohio thought, he had no idea who the person was. He blinked a few times to try and tell, and very soon his eyes were able to tell.

"Indiana!" He exclaimed, he was so happy to see his boyfriend. He was so happy to know that Indiana was safe.

"Ohio!" Indiana exclaimed back, he grabbed Ohio off of the ground and quickly brought the soaking wet state up towards him. He wrapped his arms around the other male, his new dry clothes became wet again as he held Ohio close to him. He didn't care though, he was just happy to see his boyfriend again. He was so worried for him, he thought he was dead. Ohio wrapped his arms around Indiana, nuzzling into the shorter state's chest. He was shivering from the cold and clung onto Indiana tighter. After a few seconds Indiana realized.

"He's cold." Indiana told Illinois and Michigan. Worry tainted his voice as he told them.

"I don't have any dry clothes, do you?" Illinois said, he looked over to Michigan to ask him.

"No." Michigan responded, not caring about Ohio. He was telling the truth though.

"I'm going to go get some dry clothes for Ohio. You watch over them." Illinois told Michigan, Illinois left before Michigan could argue.

"Are you doing alright?" Indiana asked, he was so worried for his boyfriend.

"Not really, are you doing ok though?" Ohio responded, asking his own question as well.

"A bit better than you. I just want you to be ok." Indiana was hurt, but he cared more about Ohio at the moment. He kept the other Midwestern state close to him.

Indiana could feel his lungs fill up with water again. He coughed up some of the liquid in a panic, which only seemed to make it worse. He coughed up more of the clear fluid as it filled up his lungs more. He tried to stay awake, he didn't want to fall unconscious, but he couldn't. Every second it became harder and harder to breathe. He fought to stay conscious, he wanted to stay with Ohio. It was no use, soon his eyes shut and he fell onto the ground limp. Ohio still held onto Indiana.

"Is he alright?" Ohio asked, worry in his voice.

"He's fine, just unconscious." Michigan responded, he knew Indiana was ok, but kept a close eye on him just in case. Ohio nodded, still holding his boyfriend close. He felt safe and a bit warmer holding the unconscious state. He was still shivering though, he couldn't wait until Illinois came back. He knew it would only be a matter of time before his lungs filled back up with water and he joined Indiana.