The Final Take

AUGUST 2021

JUDE's P.O.V.

It would be very common for me to say that this was it. The day we've all been waiting for in our lives. But that would make things boring and people would eventually yawn and ignore the rest of what I'm going to say.

At least... that will be James' problem, not mine.

"But what if nobody listens to me? The time spent on making that goddamn speech would be wasted." James scratches his head, I did so too.

"You'll do just fine! You know what Paul McCartney always say. Just, let it be." I said while fixing his tie.

"As if it was that easy."

That was our scene backstage before the program started, he was sweating like an outrageous fountain. Being the useless girlfriend I was, I'd just laugh at him and told him to suck it up, as John Lennon would typically say.

Rest assured, I'll be supporting him from afar.

As part of the university's notable ceremony, special people were invited to give recognition to all the completers. Considering that Eroda University is the first and only college state in the country, it was in deep honour and privilege to welcome these guests.

One of them is Mr. Ignacio; the president of Eroda University, Sir Ryne; the Dean of the engineering department, his excellency; Mr. Odrigo Odinson, and of course...

"...musician, singer, songwriter, record producer, author, astrophysicist, university administrator, and the lead guitarist of the rock band Queen, Dr. Brian Harold May, may we invite you up on our stage to salute our newly graduates."

That's why, out of the many times my name has been called on stage for recognition, this moment has to be the best of the best.

Imagine graduating and getting a free handshake from one of your musical heroes.

Like Brian May.

Of Queen.

I think I might melt on the spot.

Does my hair even look good?

His is still curly and awfully fabulous.

I mean—

"Hello Jude," the rockstar greets, "It's nice to see you again."

"I'll look forward to see you graduate on your chem course."

I smiled, unlike my short meeting with the president and Dean a few seconds ago, I knew this is bound to be different. Not only did I receive my diploma and medals from him...

He pulls me in for a warm hug, "Freddie, Roger, and Deaky send their regards."

It was as if the world stopped but technically it didn't. Not caring about the looks everyone in the venue is flashing at our direction, we just let the person after me walk past us as the lead guitarist and I indulged this moment between us.

"Thank you for remembering."

And now the moment we've all been waiting for, "Ladies and gentlemen, we proudly present to you; Eroda University's highest top notcher, our dearest Valedictorian, Mr. James Paul Stark!"

Everyone did a round of applause as my bespectacled boyfriend goes to the podium wearing a black robe and cap like the rest of us sitting in front of the decorated stage.

Our graduation may have been late due to the pandemic but at least Eroda is back to normal. Thanks to the Odinsons and the resiliency of the people of Eroda.