- sweet surrender

[ season 5 episode 20 ]

"He has a fiancée!" Holly exclaimed as she looked around her room looking for her shoe. "A New York fiancée! Where is my bloody shoe!"

Mark sighed as he leant against the headboard, he was really looking forward to some morning sex but it seemed Holly had other ideas. Mark should've expected it to be honest, she hadn't said one word when they got back from the dinner and now she was letting it all out.

"I'm sure she's a lovely lady, but he didn't even tell us! She came over from New York for a booty call and accidentally met his kids, who he was hiding from her. Who does that!" Holly took a deep breath and stood with her hands on her hips, "There's my shoe."

Mark watched as she ran across to the other side of the room to receive her shoe, "Holly." He went ignored as she rambled to herself, "Holly."

"It's never felt like his children were his priority, there's always something or someone else." Holly was speaking with her hands, they were making all different gestures which only stopped when Mark was stood infront of her and holding her hands.

"I just want a dad, a dad who cares." Holly whispered as she leant her head against Mark's chest. It was the truth, she wanted a dad. She had spent her whole childhood resenting fathers, hating that she didn't have one. Staring at the kids who joyfully ran into their fathers arms at the end of the school day.

"I know, I know you do sweetheart but maybe Daniel isn't the dad type. Some people aren't made to be dads, and maybe he's one of them." Mark ran his hand through her blonde hair, resting his chin ontop of her head.

"He broke my heart before any boy could. He left us with our mom and I'd hated him for so long. Then he appeared at the hospital and I welcomed him with open arms because I just wanted a dad. I didn't care who he was, I just wanted a dad so badly I let him waltz into my life." Holly lifted her head up to look at Mark, tears that could only be seen in a specific lighting were in her eyes.

"I let him waltz back into my life, and break my heart all over again."

×××

Holly was leaning on Mark's shoulder when she heard Derek's voice coming down the stairs, Mark was reading the newspaper reading out anything that she would find interesting ( which was normally the vouchers for the fast food place down the street )

Derek and Meredith's laughter died down when the entered the kitchen, Holly raised her eyebrows and turned to face the newly engaged couple. Mark followed suit and quickly turned around.

Meredith gave Holly an apologetic smile as Derek went to go make a cup of coffee, Holly bit the inside of cheek as she buttered her piece of toast. There was more footsteps that followed, Cal and Lexie then entered the kitchen.