Chapter 37

(April 8)
Even though the others were worried that I'd get some kind of punishment for being in the wrong cabin, and Nikushimi and Matsu getting punished as well since they did the same, in the end, Commander Takagawa only quietly watched us as we all gathered at the cafeteria the next morning. Kentaro sat on his own again while the rest of us sat at the same table. Hisashi didn't sit down though. He made his way over to Yuuma who stood near the kitchen door.

"Counselor Yuuma." Hisashi said.

He wasn't talking very loudly, but we could still hear him. I glanced back at Kentaro to see if he was looking too. His eyes moved in that direction before looking away again. I looked back at Hisashi, feeling somewhat happy.

"Forgive me for taking so long, but I would like to sincerely apologize for my actions." He bowed his head. "I wasn't thinking when I caused you such trouble. I think it's right that I learn my lesson by getting punished for it. I will accept whatever punishment you'd like to give me."

"Thank you for your apology, Hisashi. Things are working out so it's alright now." Yuuma replied.

Hisashi lifted his head. "Yes... I'm very glad that you can keep the camp. I mean that."

"That hasn't been completely decided yet." Takagawa walked over to them. "I haven't finished watching over the camp. I'm not quite satisfied yet. We'll see if he gets to keep it in the end. But you said you'd accept any punishment, right? Well I have the perfect set of punishments for a deviant like you."

The look on Hisashi's face almost didn't look very happy when he laid eyes on Takagawa. But he bowed his head and didn't try to cause more trouble. "Yes, Commander Takagawa, I will take any and all punishments you think fit the situation."

"Good. Yuuma, tell him the punishment we discussed."

Yuuma seemed to hesitate. "Right... Your main punishment is that your sentence will be lengthened for another 6 months. That means that your sentence will now finish at the end of November. Nikushimi's will finish a month before that, at the end of October."

Another 6 months...? So he can't finish when the rest of us do? I had planned that we would all go on dates afterwards... I thought that there was just a little less than 2 months left since the rest of us finish at the end of May. But he has to wait even longer before we can all do that... I was feeling a bit positive after my talk with him yesterday, but now some of my optimism has been sapped away...

Yet the punishment is reasonable. His sentence should be lengthened since we're all criminals here who have to learn our lessons with time. Since it seems like he hasn't learned his, he should be here longer. Nikushimi came to the camp late and still has time left in his sentence. But I won't be bringing him along on our dates.

"And I have some more punishments I'd like to add to that." Takagawa says. "From now on, you'll be put in a different cabin all alone. And you'll have to sit away from everyone else. Since you happen to get along with the other criminals, I can't have you feeling like each day is nice and fun when this is a place to learn your lesson from your crime. You're not allowed to sit by them, talk with them, or sleep in the same cabin as them. I'll have some officers keep a close eye on your cabin so you don't get up to more mischief."

The punishments just get even worse. He can't sit with us or talk to us!? Then how will he and Kentaro finally make up again!? I can't believe this... Now all my optimism has evaporated...

"Sir... From now on?" Yuuma asks. "You mean until his sentence is over?"

"What? Do you have a problem with that?"

"I just think it's a bit much. Can't it be something for like 2 weeks or a month?"

"How will he ever learn his lesson with that? Your camp needs to be harder on those who cause trouble like this. Did you forget how much trouble he caused? This camp was almost lost because of his actions. He needs to be punished properly."