Chapter 36

Commander Takagawa sat in on every activity. He sat there with his arms folded and a stern expression on his face. It was intimidating, but if we just ignore him, maybe we can act normally. On Saturday, he even checked our worksheets during Teshima's lessons. Teshima looked a bit irritated at his interruption but didn't say anything.

Takagawa's eyes followed us everywhere and I couldn't help feeling on edge. Our meal times were unusually quiet because of the pressure from his presence. And maybe also because Hisashi still looked deflated. Kentaro even refuses to sit at the same table with us now. I've been quiet about everything so far, but maybe I need to step in finally.

(April 7)
I decide to sit with Kentaro since he's eaten alone this whole time. He glances up from his food for a second but then continues eating. My smile twitches. Is he trying to ignore me too? Even in our cabin, he's quiet and immediately goes to bed. Gin and I can't even approach him.

"Are you still that angry?" I ask.

He chews his food, staring at his plate. Then he swallows and looks up at me. "Aren't you?"

I pause. "Well... Maybe I'd be more angry if I didn't hear that Yuuma was still going to keep the camp... Now that that's resolved, even if Hisashi did cause this situation, his actions failed. I don't think we need to be too angry with him anymore."

"What if he does something like that again?"

"I don't think he will..." I look back at the Hisashi that looks like he hasn't been sleeping at all these past few days. "He looks like he feels really bad about everything..."

Kentaro clicks his tongue and looks away to the side. "He should feel bad. He should feel really bad. He deserves to suffer for what he's done. That bastard..."

I'm worried... How will they ever make up...?

Once our bonding activity came around, Takagawa called Hisashi over to him and Yuuma. I watched my partner, Kentaro, spare the smallest of glances up at them before looking back down at the table. I continued to watch Hisashi to see what was going on. Luckily, Takagawa wasn't even trying to speak quietly so I could hear everything.

"You must return everything that you got through Hida. And if there are any other crimes you'd like to admit to while you're at it, go ahead." Takagawa said with his arms folded.

"I only have the items I got through Hida... Should I return them now or—?" Hisashi's voice wasn't as lively as it usually was. His smile hasn't come back since Takagawa arrived either...

"Bring them here now." Takagawa commanded.

Hisashi bowed his head before leaving. I watched him go before turning back to Kentaro in front of me. He still looks like he doesn't care about anything relating to Hisashi.

Eventually Hisashi came back with everything. Takagawa took each item and inspected it. First was the halloween costumes. Right, there's no way Ana could have had that lying around for us or Hisashi could have made them... Then again, it seems like Hisashi is more talented than you'd expect like that time when we crocheted... But Hida was the one who smuggled in all of these items after Hisashi somehow convinced him to do it for him.

Takagawa had a peculiar expression on his face as he looked at the costumes. He set them on an empty table next to him and grabbed the brown bag in Hisashi's hand. He looked inside. He looked up to glare at Hisashi. He put the bag down, the sound of bottles clinking together echoing in the quiet cafeteria. Yuuma eyed the bag once it was set down.

The last item was a box. Wait, that box... As Takagawa took it in his hands and began opening it, I quickly lowered my head to the table and covered my face. My face was steaming. No... Not that box... I should have realized that he had to give those back too! I'm humiliated!!