The cafe of problems and solutions

Track - The middle

Track - The middle. Please note that the lines between '~' is Avni's pov of an incident. Also, I know many might not be liking this fight between them — all I can say about it is keep reading, I know what I'm writing :)
>>>>>>>>>>

Neil woke up at the normal time in the morning and rubbed his eyes. He was so used to Avni's absence beside him in the mornings and so had forgotten that she had left. Like any other day, he took a shower and came out in his uniform.

"Why hasn't Avni brought my coffee yet?" He mumbled to himself while putting on his medals and making himself ready for work. He opened the cupboard to take out his watch and gun and that was when everything came crashing down on him.

Avni's side of clothes was half empty, he noticed. I need a break from you. Her harsh words rang in his mind and he exhaled sharply. She wanted this, so let it be. He stared at the shards of the plate beside the coffee table in utter dismay.

"Is Avni fine? She didn't come down." Shweta entered the room with his cup of coffee. She then glanced at the condition of the room and frowned seeing the broken plate. "Neil?" She whispered, her eyes filled with fear.

"She's gone." He said with difficulty, swallowing a thick lump in his throat, fidgeting with his fingers simultaneously. "Gone? What do you mean gone?" Shweta asked shrilly, her voice bouncing off the walls.

"She went of her own accord. She said she wanted a break from me." Neil said firmly, trying to dodge his mother's eyes to avoid showing her how much hurt he was. Shweta gasped, her hand now covering her ajar mouth as a melancholic tear rolled down her cheek.

"She said that?" She asked, barely audible and lowered her eyes when he nodded. "Anyways, there's loads of work at the police station today." He said, his eyes slightly unfocused as the memory of the dead girl levitated in his mind like a tormenting fog.

He descended the stairs and took a sandwich kept on the dining table. "Sir Mr. Shah wants to meet you." The security guard of the mansion said, pointing at the neighbour standing at the outside gate. "Let him in." Neil ordered, finishing his sandwich.

"Good morning Neil uncle!" Aryan, the little boy who looked like he enjoyed being alive more than anybody else who had ever fallen into the world by mistake, wished while jumping in his father's lap. "Morning Aryan." He wished back with a little smile and nodded at Mr. Shah.

Aryan climbed down and ran comically towards Prakash's room to play with him. "Neil, please tell me honestly, what is wrong between Avni and you?" He asked humorlessly, holding his arm. Neil couldn't refrain himself from asking how he got the intuition of it.

Mr. Shah sighed and said, "I was just about to park my car in the driveway when I saw her come out of the house. She was crying...horribly. I asked her to get in because you know what it's like out there. She was adamant not to, so, I dropped her at her home."