Back home

This chapter was very difficult to write, particularly because Avni's condition sometimes is so damn relatable but difficult to put across words

>>>>>>>>>>

The knob of the washroom's door clicked and Avni came out; quite red in the face and the ends of her hair sopping, suggesting that she had washed her face to remove the tear stains.

"Avni I'm-" Neil began but was interrupted by the sound of the doorbell. Avni had taken no notice of his words and went into the balcony; Neil went to receive the person at the door.

A help stood there with a trolley full of food he had ordered them to make on Avni's birthday. "Red velvet cake, just like you said." He said, smiling at Neil and removed the lid off a plate containing a very beautiful but small cake.

"I...thanks." Neil said awkwardly, grabbed the handle of the trolley and took it till his room. He removed the tureen to see dal, poha and other things Avni liked. The Greek chef was quite keen to try these Indian dishes and agreed to make them.

She didn't eat anything probably. Neil thought and put the dal in a bowl, rice in a plate and took them outside, keeping them on the table. Avni was sitting with her back against the wall, knees against her chest as she stared at the Poseidon temple.

He looked at her pale, white face, which looked so still, he wondered for a moment if she was conscious or not. "Avni? See, your favourite food." Neil spoke softly, trying to pretend that no argument had taken place between them.

"I just want to be alone for some time...please." Avni replied, without looking at him. Neil sighed and went into their room, sitting on an armchair which was placed just beside the balcony door.

"Ma? I need your help." Neil whispered in his phone. He had called Neela Ma because he could not think straight on how to deal with Avni. "Yes Neil?" Neela Ma's kind voice answered.

Neil narrated the entire incident and waited for her to give her million dollar advice. "I want you to know, you're not much at fault. However it was wrong to call your wife's choices dumb." She replied softly, and the lines on his forehead vanished immediately.

"And nor is she." She continued and Neil looked at Avni through the glass door. She was bending over her small pile of gifts, unboxing one which contained a pendant and wore it around her neck, tucking it beneath her top.

"Neil look, I've seen her on her birthdays and I've always felt so bad for her...she just hoped that this one would be very special and was probably very excited for today - for the first time if I'm to add. Seeing no response from you, she left in anger.

"And this behaviour of hers...you've seen this before, haven't you?" She asked, her voice filled with despair. Neil racked his brain to recall any such similar moment and found not just one, but two.

The first one when he had got to know her real identity and went to Epping - she had been talking rubbish about herself at that time too. The second time was when Neela Ma had asked the pastor for a special lecture on self love.