Insecurity

The dinner on the night of the roka was a normal one

The dinner on the night of the roka was a normal one. Bebe had not done any damage and that was particularly because she had chosen not to join the Mehta's for dinner. Prakash masked her absence by saying "Oh you know, old people have medications so she ate earlier."

Neil had also left 5 minutes after they came to his place due to his night shifts, not before kissing Avni briefly when no one was looking and apologising for his leave to which Avni chuckled and let him go.

Avni felt closer to Neil's family by each meeting and was sure she would have less troubles adjusting once they were married. After the dinner, they all sat, Avni, Aman and DD excluded, discussing about the next rituals.

"Engagement next." Neela spoke, looking around all of them. "We'll check with the priest, the ideal date for the engagement." Shweta smiled at her.

"We can have the ceremony at our farmhouse-" Prakash began but stopped himself seeing the uneasy look on Neela's face. "Is there anything you wish to say?" Ashish asked, noticing the same.

"Actually", Neela spoke in a low tone, casting a nervous glance at Avni, "it has been Avni's one of the deepest wishes to wear a white wedding gown, like those Baptist weddings. She used to be in awe of the weddings in the church nearby. We are, of course, not having a Baptist wedding but can the engagement, only the engagement, be so themed?" She finished, looking at them hesitantly.

"That's a brilliant idea!" Shweta spoke after a while, Prakash nodding as well. "I'll have a booking at the church then! You can decide the dates!" Neela clapped her hands. "Okay, but do tell us, what all is required." Prakash piped in.

"Of course!" Ashish and Neela spoke together, holding hands with Ashish accidentally, out of excitement. Neela's cheeks turned a light shade of pink and she withdrew her hand. Almost immediately, Ashish held it back and began talking to the Khanna's, pretending as if there was no awkwardness.

Prakash and Shweta were a patient audience and made a note of all the rituals. When they arrived at the discussion of guest list, they also decided to keep the engagement after a few weeks, so that all their relatives could join.

"Maddy's family. Khanna Saab your cousins-"
"James and George-"
"Not George!" Avni interrupted her mom, as she caught hold of her words as she passed by the hall.

"He's your friend!" Neela Ma frowned. "Neil's jealous of George. I don't want our day to be ruined for him." Avni spoke, guilty of her words, though. "That's news to me. Tell me, how does he act when he's jealous?" Shweta looked at Avni with great interest.

Avni giggled and spoke "Well he tries to assert his rights on me, goes on shouting he's my boyfriend, gives a look as if he could punch George." Shweta and Prakash broke into a hearty laugh, imagining their son behaving that way.

"Well we are inviting George. It's rude otherwise. And he's coming to your engagement and wedding Avni, how can Neil be possibly jealous then?!" Neela Ma fussed and added his name to the list.