Against Desires

"Hey Avni!" Ali's voice piped up a second after Avni had called him

"Hey Avni!" Ali's voice piped up a second after Avni had called him. "Hey Chamko." Avni said cheerfully, staring at the oven, eagerly waiting for her cake to come out, ready.

"Everything going well eh? The cafe's flooded today." Ali chuckled. "Why?" Avni asked. "Loads of people coming to BSE. Don't even ask. IT Department's going for a raid at her place did you hear?" He replied, whispering Yahoo in the end.

"Well, thanks to all those who supported me in it." Avni said, smiling. "Acha listen, I don't think I'll be able to pick Tisca from her office today. Can you go around 8? I don't want her to come back alone." Ali sounded serious this time.

"Protective boyfriend." Avni smirked. "Of course I am! And I go daily because...I don't know, there are woods on the way back. Don't want her to get messed up." Ali spoke hastily. "Okay okay. Sure I'll go, just send me the address." Avni chuckled and ran towards her cake.

"Cool. Bye." Ali hung up the call as Avni busied herself in decorating the cake. When she was done, she clicked a photo of it and sent it to Neil, waiting eagerly for his response.

He replied later in the evening, as she was getting ready to pick up Tisca.
Neil:
Can't wait to eat it.
Or you ;)

Avni laughed loudly at his cheesy replies. She loved how he took out some time to make her feel special through the simplest of gestures.

Avni :
You heard Ma.
'After marriage.'

Neil:
Fine to be Mrs. Khanna.
Talk to you later. 

Avni put her phone in her bag and took the car keys, whistling, as she shut the door behind her.

»»»»»»»»»»

"Got a promotion!" Tisca yelled in Avni's ears as she sat beside her, buckling the seat belt. "Congratulations!" Avni exclaimed and side hugged her, smiling broadly. So far so good.

Avni started to drive back, they both hummed the tune of a random hit playing on the car radio. To add a tune to it, the pitter patter of rain graced their ears.

"Just Mumbai things." Tisca commented, looking at the rain  with distaste. "It's so wonderful!" Avni protested, rolling down the window a bit. "Wait for it to flood the roads. Then you'll find it wonderful." She chuckled in response.

"Ali is so protective about you-" Avni started but couldn't complete due to a loud screech caused due to the sudden application of breaks. She was nearly thrown forwards and unbuckled her seat belt to look out.

Another car had stopped abruptly in front of them. Frowning, Avni got out and before she could even comprehend anything, a sharp pain ran through her head and she dropped to her knees, holding her hand tightly.