Plans

Neil got up at the same time he always did and yawned, stretching his arms to give some life to them

Neil got up at the same time he always did and yawned, stretching his arms to give some life to them. He looked sideways to see Avni wasn't there, she probably had gone downstairs to the kitchen. Used to her absence in the morning, he went into the washroom to take a shower.

When he came out, he saw Avni putting a cup of coffee on the set drawer. When she saw him, she came near him and kissed his cheek, wishing him a good morning. Neil did that to her too and sat down, sipping his coffee.

It was remarkable for him, how Avni had managed to blend into this routine almost perfectly in a couple of months. Moreover, he was overcome by the fact that she made sure she did little house chores and then go to work. Neil made sure she got the appreciation for these efforts and was proud to have a wife like her.

She watched Neil calmly and then, all of a sudden, her eyes widened and she clapped a hand to her mouth. Muttering something to herself in a language Neil didn't know, she went out of the room.

Neil finished his cup and at precisely that time, she came back, putting something on the floor, which made a little click sound. He watched what it was and laughed — Avni's heels, which she was wearing last night.

"This would have busted us." Avni said, frowning at him. "Mom would scold us anyway." Neil said pointedly, pulling on his police uniform. "I'll try to tell her we came back on time but we were tired so we slept." Avni shrugged, getting in to take a shower herself.

Neil waited for her to come patiently. He had just taken out his gun from the cupboard when he heard the sound of the door knob turning. Looking over his shoulder just on time, he hurriedly put the gun in its case before she could see it.

"Let's go." She suggested, took her bag and his hand as they walked downstairs. "How did you come from upstairs?" Shweta asked, once they were seated on the table. "We were in our room all the time mom." Avni replied, eating her sandwich and behaving as if Shweta was flummoxed over something very trivial.

Neil tried to keep a straight face which was a very difficult task, so he just ate his food quietly. "You went for dinner didn't you? I didn't see you returning." Shweta arched her eyebrows. "Yes we did. I guess you were in your room when we came. We were tired so we just slept." Avni said in casualness, she was a brilliant actor. Neil had a funny thought having parents from that field might have helped her.

Shweta looked at Neil for affirmation, who nodded awkwardly. Avni aimed a kick at him under the table, signalling him to act more casually. Eyes watering in pain, he nodded vigorously and tried to not groan.

"Avni, honey, I'm a cop's mother." Shweta gave a hollow smile to Avni who stopped eating at once. "I don't know how you came in but I'm very sure you arrived well after midnight." She added in an ultimatum tone. Neil nudged her foot with his and gave her a forced smile that probably meant I told you.