Little Things

AvNeil's married life was going smoothly and if possible, it was almost like the one they lived before getting married

AvNeil's married life was going smoothly and if possible, it was almost like the one they lived before getting married. The care didn't decrease and love between them only blossomed.

Avni was happy with the project she was assigned and her team was progressing on it due to her unconventional inputs. So far, they had been successful in mapping out a digital model of the land size with different units scattered.

She had taken upon herself to create a digital model of the building's infrastructure both surrounding it and inside it. Her team had taken up the work of telling her what all must be excluded from her ahead of time ideas.

Once or twice Neil returned back home, shaken due to the stuff he had to witness at his job. Avni had uncomplainingly vowed to make him calm whenever he felt that way. The nights were calm for both of them, as they passed it in each other's embrace and Neil's two inch rule.

And today, as Avni put her MacBook back in her bag while clearing up for going back home with an air of excitement, "It's your two month anniversary." Farida, Avni's colleague said, as she watched Avni grin at her.

"Yes! I've got a date planned." Avni whispered, her smile never leaving her face. "What happened to the 1st month?" Farida asked, packing her own bag. "He was distressed that day due to a murder case." Avni replied, her lips forming a perfect, sympathetic line as she put her hand on the table, sighing sadly.

"It must be difficult for him." Farida put her hand on Avni's shoulder. "I know...I feel what he does." She acknowledged and smiled at her, waving a bye to her after she was done packing.
She had already told Prakash she won't be returning home with him so she called a cab and headed straight to Neil's police station; he was in for two surprises today.

As she looked out of the cab's window, she reminisced how those two months had been for her. A sad smile appeared on her face as she recalled the incident when Neil had come back home exactly a month ago.

<
She had never seen him so pale and so white in the face. He had refused to talk to anyone or eat his dinner and had gone straight to their room, shaking his head. Avni had taken a plate full of food for both of them, which she kept on the bed. Neil was in the shower, taking longer than he usually did which made her think that something was definitely wrong.

When he came out, she got up from the bed and walked close up to him. "What happened?" She asked softly, holding his cheek. He forced a feeble smile at her, muttered nothing and began setting his pillow.

"You can tell me,"
"I said nothing!" Neil repeated firmly, running his hands in his hair, sighing deeply. "Sorry." He muttered, lying on the bed. "At least now I know too. You can be cranky too if you don't eat." Avni, unaffected by the fact that he had almost snapped at her, held the plate and sat beside him on the bed.

"It's not about food." He spoke, pressing his temples with his fingers. "Then what?" She enquired, massaging his head. "I...there was an FIR lodged today, about a murder...the body was..." Neil broke off, putting his head into his hands. Avni stroked his back bracingly, kissing his hair and muttering sweet things.